Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

CLA 2011 saltwater competition
« on: 26/07/2011 at 10:31 »
OK, firstly I apologise for the lack of pics.
Hopefully, Ben will have some but for a multitude of (very good) reasons I just didn't have the time to take any pics over the three days of the CLA. The weather was epic, lots of sun and generally a light-ish wind.

There's been much debate about the saltwater distance competition rules and where the casting is done from in the past. I can only add to that debate.
Essentially you have a wooden fishing platform and walkway in a lake some 18 inches above the water with a floating pontoon lashed to the front of it and lower down in the water. The platform (and walkway) has vertical posts and horizontal bars which make casting 'interesting', if you're not very careful you'll catch it all on the backcast every time. The judges had removed the horizontal bars in order to make things a bit better for the various competition qualifiers held on the platform. However it was far from ideal, especially when these conditions aren't generally mirrored during practice - something I had clearly not done enough of.
Truth is, I was under prepared.
Qualifying for the final (held on the afternoon on Saturday) was on Friday and Saturday.
Ben cast on the Friday but I elected to put my eggs in one basket and try to qualify on the Saturday which would give me some much needed time to practice on the platform on the Friday evening. Wind conditions on Saturday were variable with strong gusts adding to a steady breeze coming over the right shoulder, not bad but not ideal. I managed a distance of 36.5 metres in the second of my three minute slots, but it was bloody frustrating as I'd done 40+ in 'practice' on Friday night.
Up until 2 hours before the cut off for qualifying I was in the final but - unluckily for me - some big casts went in and I felt there was no way I could make my outfit go any further, so I elected not to cast again and was out.
Ben was still in, he and another chap were matched for distance at 38.5 metres so they had a shoot-out for the final position in the final. Conditions were tricky for a right hander and Ben was up against a 'lefty'. Ultimately, Ben was really unlucky with the platform, the wind and the fact he was up against a lefty who could really chuck fluff a very long way indeed. So we were both out.
I was gutted and clearly so was Ben. Lessons learnt for next year though.
Ultimately, you needed to reliably hit 40+ metres to qualify for the final.

The final was held in front of the grandstand which was on the other side of the lake (or is it a river.... :?) and unhelpfully the orientation of the platform was into the wind. As most of the competitors were using shooting heads this promised to be an interesting final and we weren't disappointed.
Predictably, the headwind made things tricky for the competitors but young Thomas Armstrong showed the way with a bullet like 1st place cast of 36.88 metres to win the £1,000 prize. Personally, I question the results of the 2nd and 3rd place finalists as both broke the (complicated) rules during the final in my understanding of them. I also think that Lee Cummings hit a much bigger cast than the theodolite reading (and frequently dozing off) distance judges gave him credit for..... but I could be wrong.
Michael Evans - the commentator and rule maker - made one or two observations during the event which weren't entirely helpful (ooooh, he didn't want to do that.... or..... that's just not going to be far enough etc etc) for those in the final and also said there had been discussions over the winter about how the rules might have changed for this year. Personally, I'd be happy to cast a dirty great popper on the end of my line if I didn't have to use a line tray and I think that view was shared by all who competed.
Let's see what next year brings.
I'll be ready  :wink

:z3

Euan Innes

Re: CLA 2011 saltwater competition
« Reply #1 on: 26/07/2011 at 10:50 »
I feel for the pair of you.
I know how much you both put into preparing for this event (despite what you say :z7) and it does sound as if it wasn't that well organised or laid out.
Chins up chaps, next year will be the one. Meanwhile you need to get out and scare some sheep Hamish.... :z4

:z1

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 26/07/2011 at 12:46 »
I feel for the pair of you.
I know how much you both put into preparing for this event (despite what you say :z7) and it does sound as if it wasn't that well organised or laid out.
Chins up chaps, next year will be the one. Meanwhile you need to get out and scare some sheep Hamish.... :z4

I'll second that, though theres no shame in just missing 40mts as far as I can see. :z18

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 26/07/2011 at 17:48 »
Tough luck guys.  :z6

It sounds as if you had bad luck with the conditions. Always a problem in outdoor competitions and there is nothing you can do except bounce back next time.

36-38 metres sounds like a very long cost to a mere mortal like me :z14

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 27/07/2011 at 00:12 »
Good report Hamish.

I'll upload some videos and a few pics later on once I've sorted through them.  Considering you did little if any practice until you got there Hamish, I think you did exceptionally well,  WIth a bit of practice you would have been in the top 6 no question. 

The platform was, as usual fairly shit but everyone has to deal with this so cannot moan about it too much.  My head went in the cast off and I stupidly positioned myself in such a way that I was hitting one of the vertical posts H mentioned.  So with the on shoulder wind, only got one clean cast away and it was not far enough against the guy I was casting against who in addition to having the wind on the right side for him, was a bloody good caster.

The Spey casting was fun, did better than expected but not well enough, hit a cast of 55.85 metres (62.05 yards in English) in qualifying but was 116 cm short of the distance to scrape through.

Will get some pics upoladed over the next day or two.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2011 at 22:33 »

Hamish in qualifying.

And in slow motion video

And close up in slow motion video  :z4

Lee Cummings throwing Barrio GT140 WF9F in the final

Building up to launch one

Cast away!

Andy Lamyman

Matt Tonkin

Tomo

Thomas sending the winning cast,

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2011 at 10:02 »
Nice pics Ben, video is no bad either.
Must work on my counterbalance.......  :z7

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 31/07/2011 at 10:51 »
Quite why you didn't qualify is beyond me.
That Sir is a top cast!
As for the "counter balance", that has never stopped you in the past :z7

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 31/07/2011 at 12:19 »
Personally H I wopuld say you didn't stick your tounge out farenough. It is a scientific fsact that the degree of concentration is in direct oproportion to how far out the touinge goes. It also helps with counterbalance.....apparently.   :grin :grin :grin

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 31/07/2011 at 14:50 »
Some intersting line trays there !  :z7

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 31/07/2011 at 21:50 »
Great stuff guys ..... looks like you had loads of fun! :z16

Loving the photos and videos Ben .... thanks for posting them :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com