Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Sometimes you just have to walk away...
« on: 03/07/2011 at 12:05 »
Once upon a time in a fishery far far away a young man tied 136 dozen salmon flies for a Russian fishing camp. Although the money was good (£2 a fly, 1995) the young man quit fly tying for the next ten years or so because he just overdid the whole thing.

I've not been on here for a while for much the same reasons coupled with that bloody recession and having to stop my rock and roll lifestyle and get a real job. I say "real" but working at Aberdeen University is more surreal than real  :z10

I just felt that I had to back off from the fishing for a while knowing that I would eventually come back to it with a renewed vigour and still be as passionate as I used to be. It was never anything to do with anyone in particular, just me being me. Normally when I do that sort of thing I sell off whatever gear required but this time I didn't. So don't worry Sandy the Scott #4 is still going strong as is the #3 greys bamboo. More of that in a minute.

The trip up north was just the ticket to get things going again. Money, time, frame of mind and planetary alignment all came good and as I set sail in the Red Oktober for the first time in years it all came flooding back. (flooding as in my waders leak...) The first session on Loch Drumbeg saw me with three fish and a realisation that maybe I still knew how to do this. Cul Fraich slapped me back down, but one Pollock and a second outing on Drumbeg that saw a serious amount of fish caught and released had me grinning fro ear to ear. By the time I had done Loch Beannich I was back in the game. This is entirely due to Mr Young, with help from Messers Muir, Dixon etc. Hats off to you chaps.

The old Scott did it's magic. One slight moment when the bottom section popped loose and gave a crack. It turned out that the blank was ok but the thread had split. I repaired that when I got home with a slightly different colour of thread to remind me of when and where I was when it happened.

Anyhoo, be prepared for the old humour and rants although the rants will be kept to a minimum :z16
Don't expect any help about fancy fly lines or nylon - I've only just gone over to a WF line and I still use Drennan sub surface green. As I get nearer the big five-oh I am getting grumpier  :z4

So there you have it. Some of you will be going "crap, that idiots back on the forum" and others will be going "WTF is this guy". Now all I have to do is get my ass up to Haddo. Apparently there are some nice browns in there now needing to be caught and the Red Oktober has just had her sea trials and is ready to go.

Be afraid, be very afraid............

:z1

Iain Goolager

Re: Sometimes you just have to walk away...
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2011 at 12:25 »
 WTF is this guy?

:z7

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2011 at 12:27 »
Cool :z12

wait till you meet the not so mini-me. Then it WILL feel like a
long sabbatical :shock

I'm looking for a job back in the real world too.
It is the only place to be methinks :z18
then again I've always been a simple sort :z4

sandy

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2011 at 12:27 »
Damned if I know....  :z8:z7 :z7 :z7

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2011 at 12:30 »
Sandy,

The real world sucks. You don't get paid enough for your talents, the people above you know less than you do, and commuting is a waste of fishing time.
My advice, stay in your own world unless you have to.
So Mini me probably has a wife and family by now. Is he still outfishing you?  :z13

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 03/07/2011 at 12:37 »
Oh God,I just had a Troy McLure moment! :z4
You may remember me from such classics as "Float tubes at dawn" and "fishing wives in neoprene"

Damn I'm weird....

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 03/07/2011 at 14:08 »
As you say Euan , sometimes you just gotta walk away :wink

sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 03/07/2011 at 16:45 »
Welcome back Euan   :z16

:z18

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #8 on: 03/07/2011 at 17:24 »
Grumpy at 50.  :z10  Wait till you get the bus pass  :z6

Hi Euan.  :z1 Nice to have you around again

:z18

Cheers
Irvine

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2011 at 19:48 »
Thanks chaps.
Sorry I've been away for so long but I had some things to sort out.
Good to talk to you again.

Kev Danby

« Reply #10 on: 03/07/2011 at 21:45 »
Welcome back soundmannie. Nowt wrong with grumpy, Hope to see you at haddo

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 03/07/2011 at 22:13 »
Thanks Kev.
I'll see when I can get there

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 04/07/2011 at 10:52 »
Nice to see you back posting on the forum chap  :z16

Will try and get down to Haddo myself sometime, haven't visited Mr B this year :shock

:z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 04/07/2011 at 17:47 »
Hi Soundmannie :cool:

Great to hear from you :z16

Cheers
Mike

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #14 on: 05/07/2011 at 22:06 »
Soundmixer

Great to see you back again.  We will haave to get together some time and fish with the 'boo.  It has now become an obsession since fishing that Greys 3 weight!

Mike L.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com