Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Turning Rod Handles
« Reply #15 on: 27/06/2011 at 15:33 »
Maddeus,

Blank ordered from China the USA, went for the VXP.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #16 on: 02/07/2011 at 22:53 »
I go away for 2 weeks and come back to see the world is going mad!! Sandy is moving home ??? Iain is building rods :shock Whatever next?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 03/07/2011 at 01:26 »
I go away for 2 weeks and come back to see the world is going mad!! Sandy is moving home ??? Iain is building rods :shock Whatever next?

So it's your fault :wink

whatever next is you gonna have to teach me how to catch Don broonies again :z7

ahhhh.......heaven , I can't wait :cool:

sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 04/07/2011 at 12:33 »
Handle glued yesterday and I think I have the use of a lathe for turning  :oops Oh no what have I done!

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #19 on: 05/07/2011 at 19:42 »
I decided to use the handle that I'd glued as a test piece, not having formed cork before, so I took it to work and decided to place the mandrel in a pedestal drill  :shock
I thought about centre dabbing the threaded bar and seeing what I could use as a vertical tailstock?? Anyway it was almost starting time after faffing about so I decided to insert the mandrel in the chuck and grip a nut in the drill vise which had an ID close to the mandrel OD.
OK it's Michael Mouse but I had this itch.

Anyway after using a file I formed a rough outline...................one of the workshop guys came over for a look and he said 'oh! for the love of luck' or somethink like that.

Shortly after I took some dry wall sanding sheets - IT WAS ALL I HAD, and started to smooth things off. Well I never! things started to come together even though the rubberised cork was a piglet to keep at the same diameter as the cork.

I feel confident that with the corks in a centred lathe and a calipered template at hand I could make a nice handle.

Here's what I came up with, noting it was totally formed with no template dimensions and the finished profile is obviously not complete.
I used the two rubberised inboard inserts as a wee experiment as they are not the inserts that I want on my blank.

What do you think, any tips?

Iain

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #20 on: 05/07/2011 at 19:58 »
I use a Dremel type thing for the recess, but its as well to by a preformed handle, and ream it to suit the blank, I built 2 3wts this winter past, one of them I recovered a handle from a broken rod, I heated a  steel rod on the gas and inserted it up the tube leave it for 3or4 minutes and then push the handle up the broken rod I also got the reel winch , both in good nick , easgach1

Matt Henderson

« Reply #21 on: 06/07/2011 at 10:27 »
Iain,

For the rubberised stuff in amongst the normal stuff the obvious problem is that the normal stuff is much softer than the rubberised stuff.  So it's hard to get uniform OD as you mention.  What you need is some of these....

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Longlife-Emery-Boards-5-Pack_1114963/

Also a set of these is good too

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9372228&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372043}/categories%3C{9372176}/categories%3C{9392045}/specificationsProductType=files

The metal files are good for the feet of the guides once you get to that stage too. 

what you want for the rubberised bits is a hard sanding surface so that when you hold the file all the materials wear to the same surface rather than dependant on their wear rate as happens with sandpaper or emery cloth. 

Cheers

Matt

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #22 on: 06/07/2011 at 12:12 »
I picked up a set of diamond needle file excellent for hard material, I make my own emery boards by gluing various
grades of wet and dry paper to thin flat wood, easgach1

Matt Henderson

« Reply #23 on: 06/07/2011 at 12:43 »
I found for shaping things then the diamond files and the emery boards are fine, but once you get up to 400/600grit then changing the OD takes quite a lot of effort. 

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #24 on: 06/07/2011 at 19:38 »
I use 1200 grit for various applications but its on a plastic base and hard to glue, easgach 1

Iain Goolager

« Reply #25 on: 10/08/2011 at 22:27 »
Sandy, Matt,

reference cutting the recessed hole to accept the reel seat 'hood'.............
I tried a 20mm broach yesterday, which magically has a 6mm centre pilot dab type thing so keeps everything true.

The rubberised cork was a little sticky but once that was tweaked the cork was a dawdle and within 10 - 15 seconds I had a neat looking, centred, shop bought internal bore that the hood slipped into nicely, it also leaves a rough ID for the glue to key against.
It was twisted by hand - absolutely no lathes or drills required

Top find!

Iain   

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 10/08/2011 at 23:11 »
Nice, very nice! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com