Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Spey casting quandry
« on: 17/06/2011 at 14:26 »
Out practising casting last night and noticed two things.  So for a single spey cast right hand up I noticed the following:

1.  That I have a tendency to put the anchor point too far behind me which I think is leading to me blowing the anchor on the forward stroke. 

2.  When the line lands on the water the actual fly line landed straight and in the direction that I wanted to send the forward cast in, but the polyleader and leader crumpled up into a pile. 

So has anybody got any tips as to how to avoid throwing the anchor too far behind you.  Also when the line touches down how do you get the polyleader and leader to land straight and lined up as opposed to the fly line touching down and then the polyleader and leader "piling in".

Cheers

Matt

Peter McCallum

Re: Spey casting quandry
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2011 at 15:05 »
Not sure about with a double hander etc but have you watched 'Spey to Z'/ seems a very comprehensive video, also easy to watch.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2011 at 15:58 »
Thanks Peter,

I haven't seen the Spey to Z video.  But I have got the Rio modern speycasting DVD and will have to have a look through the "faults" section again. 

Matt

PS the wife was very happy with her wee casting lesson on Sunday!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 27/06/2011 at 14:08 »
Hi Matt,

When setting any anchor, the rod tip path must be from low to high with no dips in it.  When you say the leaders piles , is it piled but lined up with the intended cast direction and D loop or is it piled up stream of the fly line in a L shape?

To avoid a pile or erratic anchor placement the first thing is to get the line on the dangle out of the water cleanly, this means unsticking as much line as possible to avoid any spring effect as the line breaks the surface tension, if the line "pings" off the water it will not be under full tension against the tip and you will not be in full control of it as you turn it through the angle that you want to cast.  This often results in a scrappy anchor or variance in anchor position

Hard to nail it without seeing it but, from what you describe, if the anchor is simply piling rather than landing in a L , it sounds to me as if you are dipping the tip as you get round the corner or before you lift the rod into your delivery posiition.  If the line lands first, it is stopped by the surface tension of the water but the leader is still travelling hence it piles in.  Tip of the line and leader should come in flat or, better still, on a slight incline.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 27/06/2011 at 15:32 »
piled up but lined up in the direction of the D loop.  I half managed to sort that problem out with some practise but still find that the last few feet of the forward cast don't go out terribly smoothly. 

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 27/06/2011 at 17:38 »
Cool,

You will tend to find that any mess in the anchor will manifest itself in the top leg of the loop when you make the forward cast.

Cheers

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2011 at 21:04 »

Hi All ,
               Ben is right , to avoid crashed anchors try to lift the rod and kiss the water with your chosen " foot "  ie line

length on the water,   and  place your anchor approximately a rod's length off your casting shoulder,  not below you.

Careful not to overpower  though which is very easily done.

Remember to describe a smooth upwards rod tip path  and turn your body to ensure a good D loop.

Don't lead with your top hand but do bend the rod with your bottom hand.

Practise on grass using minimum effort , (you'll get less stick on grass ,more on water which will help) and try

to slow it all down so that you can see what is happenning  :wink

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com