Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Abel

Salt water
« on: 04/06/2011 at 18:54 »
Hi guys I have a spinning rod for salmon is it true if I use it in salt water fishing for mackrell the fish smell the salt on the braid thanks for any replies all the best James  :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: Salt water
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2011 at 19:03 »
Never heard that one James, I would wash the rod and reel in fresh water anyway after fishing in the sea.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2011 at 00:56 »
Hi guys I have a spinning rod for salmon is it true if I use it in salt water fishing for mackrell the fish smell the salt on the braid thanks for any replies all the best James  :z18

Hahaha that cheered me up!
Rub some choclate on the braid james, they love that  :wink

« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2011 at 21:30 »
Hahaha that cheered me up!
Rub some choclate on the braid james, they love that  :wink

If Salmon can find their way back to their natal rivers by smell or taste I can't see why they couldn't detect the salt water that may be rinsed out of the braid.  The distance at which this is possible would likely be very limited.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 06/06/2011 at 08:34 »
It is possible but incredibly unlikely that such a scent could be determined by a Salmon whilst someone is fishing with salt-soaked braid. Stronger smelling scented baits (when they were/where they are allowed) such as prawn and sprats are very successful for Salmon so it is plausible (although, again, highly unlikely) that a scented line may trigger a response.
For what it's worth if there were mileage in the idea then salt crusted prawn and sprat boilies would be a 1st class bait for Salmon by now.
I'll get my coat........  :wink

:z3

Offthebard

« Reply #5 on: 07/06/2011 at 14:25 »
I've used the same fly line and leader in the sea and in fresh water sometimes wihin the same day - idn't seem to worry the silvers at anytime from my experience - think this might be a bit of a red herring. :z4.

Sandy.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com