Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fly Casting Competion in Sweden
« on: 26/05/2011 at 22:38 »
In sweden we have the possibility to chose between 3 lines when competing in Trout Distance (i.e., 5 weight long belly). The lines are: SA MED, Rio Grand Tournament och the great Barrio GT140.

There was a fly casting competition in Göteborg "West coast Fly casting Challenge" last weekend and I decided to use the Barrio GT140 in the Trout Distance event. It was a ridiculously hard qualifying round. There were 6 casters in the final and all 6 casted 38 meters (128 feet) or more in the qualification round :shock
In the final Stefan Siikavaara won, and the Barrio GT140 took me to second place. I am very pleased with that result, and it also shows that the Barrio lines are world class!

In the Sea-Trout event I used the Barrio GT140 #8, cut down to 27 gram and tied to a shooting line. The Barrio line took me to second place also in this event.

By posting this I want to thank Mike for the great lines, they contribute greatly to the world of fly fishing and fly casting  :z14

11-12 June we will have a fly casting championship in Piteå. The best casters in Sweden (including Stefan Siikavaara and Fredrik Hedman) will be there. It is an open championship and it would be great if some of the board members of The Outcasts will come.

Best regards
Ulrik Röijezon

Mike Barrio

Re: Fly Casting Competion in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: 26/05/2011 at 23:14 »
Hi Ulrik
Welcome to the forum ..... or at least your first post on the forum! :z16

That is awesome casting Ulrik and you really are competing with the "big guns" :cool:

I hope you have a great time at the Pitea event
Best wishes
Mike

« Reply #2 on: 30/05/2011 at 13:29 »
Thanks Mike!

Also, congratulations to your successful sexyloops shootout events a few weeks ago. I heard from Stefan and Fredrik that you had a great time, and that you threw long distances with all kinds of combinations.

I hope to join next year, it would be great to meet and perhaps catch a trout and have a pint  :z18

Regards
Ulrik

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 31/05/2011 at 10:35 »
Be nice to see you Ulrik, but be assured that next year there will be a handicap system in place for entrants from Sweden..... about 15 feet off all distances might be about right :z7 :z4

:z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 31/05/2011 at 10:54 »
Hi Ulrik :z16

It would be great to see you next year!

Stefan sent me a link to the Pitea competition trailer, good fun to make a wee video like this I imagine :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2011 at 09:10 »
Hamish, not all swedes cast like Stefan and Fredrik, unfortunately. The handicap system sounds like a good idea though. Stefan and Fredrik start on -15 feet  :wink

Mike, thanks for posting the promotion video. Stefan and Hampus recorded it a couple of days ago, and I´m sure it was a big laugh. Thanks also for sponsoring the event! I hope to win some new fresh Barrio fly lines  :z12

/Ulrik

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 16/06/2011 at 12:26 »
Hi Ulrik :z16

I see Stefan is winning the lines again :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Fredrik H

« Reply #7 on: 23/06/2011 at 13:05 »
Hi all!

Here is a video from the competition. It is filmed and produced by Hampus Andersson.

Cheers,
Fredrik

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 24/06/2011 at 00:33 »
Hi Fredrik :cool:
Nice video, thanks for posting it on the forum :z16

I wish I'd been there ..... I could have done the grass cutting :z4

Best wishes
Mike

« Reply #9 on: 25/06/2011 at 18:59 »
Great movie by Hampus Andersson. He is also a great caster & fly fisher and a member in the Piteå group.

Fredrik was the overall vinner of the event, with Stefan on second place, leaving the rest of us way behind. Great casting Fredrik and Stefan  :z18 And, yep, Stefan brings home the lines again  :z8

Best regards
Ulrik Röijezon

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com