Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

changing direction with an overhead cast
« on: 20/04/2011 at 13:37 »
On my list of things to do this year is put the same amount of effort into performing overhead single handed casts as I have put into learning to cast a double-hander. 

So my question is once the cast has fished out down stream do you change direction with the forward cast or the backward cast?  I know the simplest answer is get a lesson but a bit busy at the moment to fit in a lesson within the next week/fortnight.

cheers

Matt

Peter McCallum

Re: changing direction with an overhead cast
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2011 at 14:48 »
Depends on the angle you want to change if its not more than 90 degrees point the rod in the direction you want the cast to go and make your cast, but better to learn to do a spey/double spey etc.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2011 at 23:20 »
Hi Matt,

Peter has it right, point the rod at the new target and lift into a backcast.  You'l struggle to get a clean cast with anything more than about 30 degrees with an overhead without making some false casts.  Best bet is to use a Spey cast for the change of direction then make an overhead if more distance is required.

Cheers

BEn

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2011 at 10:12 »
thanks Guys.

Ben - is it light enough for lessons in the evening yet?

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2011 at 21:35 »
Matt,
Your comment about spending so much time on your double handed stuff will help you no end when fishing lots of sections of the Don which we all know can often be bank fishing amongst the reeds with a high bank and fence behind, and the river no doubt dog legging off at an angle just down stream of you - ok it's not all like that but I can think of a fair few places.

I'm a sucker for a snap but the snake roll or adaptation of it is as versatile as they come and quiet to boot.
Ben'll sort you out, then you can show me for free!

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 28/04/2011 at 22:10 »
Iain,

Ben did indeed sort me out.  However I can't tell you what to do fo free.  You'll just have to buy an iLine!

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com