Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Barrio GT90 Fly Lines
« on: 13/04/2011 at 20:34 »
Hi folks :cool:

Our latest fly line, the Barrio GT90 is now available online at http://www.flylineshop.com/

I'm really excited about this one, it is an excellent fly line and feedback from the folk that have tried it has been amazing! ............ I had orders in my inbox within minutes of uploading the details on to the website :shock

The new Barrio GT90 longbelly fly line is great for traditional trout fishing tactics. We have moved the weight slightly more forward in this design compared to the GT140 series and this careful weight distribution within the new 90 ft fly line makes it very easy to cast and control. The "Mushy Pea" light olive colour is excellent for a stealthy approach to wary, selective fish and is very subtle in the air with minimal line flash, yet nice and visible on the water surface to the angler.

Smooth and supple, effortless casting, the new Barrio GT90 lies nice and straight on the water. An excellent all rounder, the line roll casts, lifts off and mends with ease and is suitable for anglers of all levels of casting ability.

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

Re: Barrio GT90 Fly Line ... New for 2011
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2011 at 21:37 »
Nice colour Mike :z16

jpm75

« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2011 at 22:19 »
Hi Mike, really happy with my GT90. I only got it out yesterday for the first time. Loads up good and fly's out of the eyes of the rod. Well impressed. Thanks, John. :grin

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #3 on: 08/10/2011 at 06:17 »
Yes got to agree , I am not the best of casters but this line rolls out easily .
Thanks Mike , tired it out  a few  times now and very pleased with it .

Cheers , Pete

Sieger Devries

« Reply #4 on: 26/10/2011 at 08:34 »
We had a little demo with the GT140 at our Flyfish Club last night and the members were very interested and enthusiast !
Think you might get some more orders (and fans) from Holland Mike... :grin

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 26/10/2011 at 17:16 »
Great stuff Sieger :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 01/04/2012 at 22:26 »
Following some rigorious testing time to post a wee update on my recent aqusition my #5 GT 90.

Plenty troots have helped make the testing positive along with the about best March river trout fishing (on a water near me)i've experienced.
Weather conditions have been unbelievable however strong downstream winds towards the latter end of the week offered the kind of scenarios perfect for line testing (sadly a little frustrationg for fishing)
Fish up to 2lb 12oz (plenty over the two pound mark  :z16) helped make things interesting along with the pound plus and smaller brethern that came along to break up the boredom.  :grin

Line turned over excellently in all but the strongest gusts when sadly a switch to downstream tactics were called for (yup i know almost like spinning but needs must  :wink)
Roll casts effortless, mends easy, and colour in the very low very clear water another plus.

Thin running line made distance casts easy, although to be fair most of the testing was at 'fishing at my feet' and 'just over there' distances.

A couple of seatroots came along to help test the 'sudden burst of speed scenario' (well ok so did a lot of these troots given the fact that they are all in excellent condition and mostly in fast well oxygenated water where they shouldn't really be until May. Fact that fish don't read books.

Only down sides were the loss of four trophy troots (3lb plus) albiet one was down to the fact i was trying to take underwater photies of the fish instead of concentrating on landing it.  The others were down to, well let's call it bad luck, although Vivaris 2200bl curved barbless hooks are also in the dock.  Kamasan B100's for the next wee while just to be on the safe side.  :z6
Nicked the line about 20 feet in as well which is a wee bit annoying (repair advise greatfully recieved, although buying another line is the best one i can come up with  :z4)
Still fishing it to destruction is the next step (well after a good bit of testing on the lochs, which if the river's keep up should be around mid June sometime  :z16)

All in all very pleased with all aspects of the line, one of the best i've fished with certainly on the running water stakes.

Allan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 03/04/2012 at 23:43 »
Some pics to back up the report hope they're ok.

Allan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 04/04/2012 at 00:13 »
Hi Allan :z16

Thanks for the great feedback! ....... Looks like you've had a good start to the season :cool:

Nice photos too, some cracking looking fish there :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 04/04/2012 at 06:22 »
Nice pics Allan :z16 loving the top one especially.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 04/04/2012 at 10:36 »
 :z14 :z14

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 04/04/2012 at 10:39 »
Thanks Guys.

Should be back out over this weekend, hopefully the cold snap hasn't spoiled it.
Noel give's a shout if you fancy a blast at the running water or that wee loch we know.

Cheers

Allan

TimTheFlier

Barrio GT90
« Reply #12 on: 21/07/2012 at 11:03 »
Just wanted to take the time to post a short message mainly to Mike but to all other potential owners of a Barrio line.

I went to see Mike yesterday morning to get kitted out with a new line.  He couldn't have been more helpful, taking his time to explain the different profiles of the lines and trying different lines out on the rod(s).  It removed any uncertainty as to which line would be most appropriate.

Not only are Mike's lines good value they handle well on the rod too.  I stumped for a GT90 (well Mike said that was the best one for the rod and who am I to argue !!) and ended up with a record day at Haddo fishery. 

I'm sure the line was to thank for eight fish the largest of which was recorded as 3.5lbs but I'm sure was closer to four and will certainly gain weight each time I tell the story.

It made a pleasant change to feel like and be treated as a customer !  I would strongly advise anyone considering buying a Barrio line to go for it and get your advice from Mike - he has a range of decent lines that suit all styles of casting / ability - I shall certainly be back for more as the seasons pass and the rod collection grows.

Regards,
Tim

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio GT90
« Reply #13 on: 21/07/2012 at 21:41 »
Thanks for the kind words Tim ..... I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your day! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

Re: Barrio GT90
« Reply #14 on: 12/10/2012 at 12:00 »
Yup agree with that.
ull seasons trial on all kinds of waters from the smallest stream, not quite the biggest but certainly fastest rivers, big lochs to wee lochans.  Big winds, no winds (my favourite), big flees, wee flees, upstream, downstream.  Did what i hoped it would with plenty to spare.  Crackin at my prefered distance (near my feet) but ok when a wee bit further was required (hard to set the dries when you've almost a full line out  :oops)

Supple and soft (hence the wee nick i've touched up with Auquasure all season that i picked up third outing, turns out it isn't keen on big sharp stones, need to watch that  :shock :wink)

Great line, great price, will be getting a new one for next year.

Cheers
Allan L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com