Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

8524gavin

broken rod tip ??
« on: 12/04/2011 at 20:28 »
hi there
was wondering if its possible to fix the top section of a rod if broken ..
its snapped  about half way on the last piece of a 3pc rod
or is it time to plash oot on a new one
gavin

Tiam

Re: broken rod tip ??
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2011 at 20:55 »
The same thing happened to my 3wt a couple of weeks ago :z6, i tried to whip finish the snapped part however it did not work and deffinatly was not strong enough to cope with the masses of few fish that would test it. Very interesting though, and  if someone has a useable proposition it may not cost me a whole new rod.

All the Best
Tiam

Dutchfly

« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2011 at 08:02 »
Hi guys,

You can use an old glassfibre telescopic fishing pole to fix your rod. Saw off a peace that fits inside the two broken sections, glue, whipfinish and you're ready to go again.

Good luck! :z16

Jeroen

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2011 at 19:07 »
similar to dutch fly but using a piece of graphite rod, I have tried it with glass fibre but there is a difference in stiffness of material,and you do tend to get a soft spot,but its a decent idea, easgach1

gunner100

« Reply #4 on: 13/04/2011 at 19:52 »
Yep, all above the previous are viable repairs.

My own variant is to use a steel darning needle 4" to 5" long and superglue it into one part of the broken section. Then, this is the tricky bit, superglue the needle into the other section ensuring that the rings line up!! Then whip the join for 5" to 6 " and varnish.Works quite well but there will obviously a bit of a difference in the action.

Lyall

8524gavin

« Reply #5 on: 14/04/2011 at 09:49 »
thanks for all the info
gonna bite the bullet and splash out on a new one
gavin

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 14/04/2011 at 10:10 »
gonna bite the bullet and splash out on a new one

What you going to get :?

:z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 15/04/2011 at 01:10 »
you do tend to get a soft spot.

with all that extra material, glue and whipping I rather fancy it would be a hard spot.
But you kill the action of the tip and that will make the rod feel a lot slower and softer action.

A new one sounds like a good idea :z16
keep the old one and convert it into a spinning rod, good practice to get into making your own
and saving a load of cash :wink

sandy

8524gavin

« Reply #8 on: 15/04/2011 at 20:36 »
Hi H
looking at the Orvis Clearwater 8''6 5wt £169
                     Gordon 2 fly rod  9''0 6wt  £169
                     Sage Vantage      9''0  6wt  £175
the thing is how can you try these out to see if it suits my style ( or lack of ) . Once you buy it thats it .. cann't swop it or can you ??  Will have to go with the one that looks the best ..
gavin

Quickcast 84

« Reply #9 on: 15/04/2011 at 23:06 »
hello gavin,darren here.i recentley experimented in a change from a 9ft to a 10ft and the results are great.longer casts and a greater feel for the rod.depending on your style of fishing.i just ordered a 8ft 4wt for the tube.i have a 9ft 5wt for the banks,and a 10ft 5wt for the boats.may i advise you to check out garryevans.co.uk for the clearance sale,as i got a bargain from there.you dont have to spend big to be big.i got a nice sk3 outfit for £191 and it is the dogs b**ls.               darren  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 16/04/2011 at 11:11 »
Hi H
looking at the Orvis Clearwater 8''6 5wt £169
                     Gordon 2 fly rod  9''0 6wt  £169
                     Sage Vantage      9''0  6wt  £175
the thing is how can you try these out to see if it suits my style ( or lack of ) . Once you buy it thats it .. cann't swop it or can you ??  Will have to go with the one that looks the best ..
gavin

Can't speak for the other brands, but you should be able to try the Orvis before you buy. Speak to Ben at the Banchory store. I'd look at the Western 3 range myself, good rods and IMHO better than the Clearwater II.
Guess it depends what you want to use it for.......

Of the others I'd bypass the Sage as the Sharpes is better in my view - but it's all down to personal perception.
There's plenty of choice out there and previously mentioned Soniks aren't half bad either.

:z3

Andy Finlay

« Reply #11 on: 17/04/2011 at 21:55 »
Gavin
As said already Banchory for orvis but if you want to try the Gordon sharpes are based at artloch in huntly i believe so you should be able to try them there as well.

8524gavin

« Reply #12 on: 18/04/2011 at 22:15 »
thanks for the info guys
will definately try get around to those shops
cheers
gavin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com