Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fadpasser

Greedy fish
« on: 21/03/2011 at 08:53 »
A few years back while plugging for pike I caught the same small perch on consecutive casts, I was wondering if anybody has had a similar experience with trout ? ie same fish twice in the one session,  I think it was Richard Walker who said that ``Large chub un-scare at around 20 mins to the lb`` so always rest a swim for an hour or so after spooking the residents. But trout ?? especially stockies ?

Peter McCallum

Re: Greedy fish
« Reply #1 on: 21/03/2011 at 09:48 »
8" brown I caught on a minnow many years ago came at the minnow twice. Was hooked and landed. Swam away. Next cast it came back and missed the minnow. Next cast hooked  released. Next cast hooked again. It then came to the minnow after that another couple of times. This was in a small pool in a small river. I saw the fish come each time, the water was chrystal clear, and return to its lie.

Fadpasser

« Reply #2 on: 21/03/2011 at 10:46 »
Makes you wonder how it got to 8`` with that attitude  ???

bigash

« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2011 at 14:25 »
Good argument to all the anti catch and release brigade,who maintain that once a fish has been caught a couple of times it wont take an artificial again.

ryan

« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2011 at 15:38 »
earlier last year i caught a rainbow on a lure this fish got away with my lure at loch of logie in crimond later that afternoon i caught another rainbow at a different part of the loch when i took this fish out of the water it still had my lure in its mouth  :grin leats i got my lure back

gunner100

Fish memory or lack of
« Reply #5 on: 21/03/2011 at 17:32 »
It is not  just trout, brown or rainbow, which have short memories but also salmon. When I lived in Dumfriesshire I had the good fortune ro leave through the back door and within 800 yards was on a tidal stretch of the River Nith.  Leaving through the front door it was 400 yards to a tributary of the Nith, the Cargen Pow. The Pow held wild brownies up to 3 1/2 lbs and escaped rainbows. ( Why did I ever leave Dumfrieshire? )

I regularly fished the Pow burn with worm and 4lb nylon catching aforesaid browns and rainbows. One day I was broken by a fish (my 4 lb line was a bit abraided) , assumed it was one of the big browns, retackled with the worm and new line. almost immediately was taken by a 6 lb grilse which I landed with my my original hook and remnant of worm still in it's moo'''

Magic day,

Lyall

DJG1984

« Reply #6 on: 21/03/2011 at 19:23 »
A sub 2lb stockie came to my olive damsel twice but spat it out real quick the second time. So it would seem it is easy enough to fool the same fish twice.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 26/03/2011 at 00:01 »
I hooked a trout on the middle dropper and played it for perhaps a minute when the line broke. I stood there for a few seconds, a little annoyed at my poor knot when the line pulled tight. On landing the fish on the top dropper I found my middle dropper in the scissors with the point fly still trailing.

I also had a trout being played by a boat partner take a fly I was retrieving.

With Pike especially, I have caught the same fish several times in a day, especially in spring when they are extremely aggressive. Possibly a defence thing where they are just snapping at lures?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 26/03/2011 at 21:59 »
Have caught the same fish more than once over the years from stocked rainbows to wild browns.

Some noteable ones were, a pound and a half broonie in a wee deep back eddy pool in a highland burn that came as a pleasant surprise.  When fishing the same water some three weeks later i tried the same bit and yup same result.  Checking the troot it looked very similar to me.  :wink
Last year in a remote highland stream with crystal clear water you could watch the fish come up and take your fly.  One troot i'd just returned raced off to the tail of the pool and as i watched it turned and raced back to take my tail flee dry which had sunk and was lying in the water just off my feet.  i hadn't even had time to recast.  :shock Aggressive wee b*****d.  :z4

A stockie at Rothes that had a stab mark which took four times in one day way back during a club outing (1 lb awarded for each fish returned, so it counted four times  :z4)

I've also had a few fish that have taken both flies on my cast (or two out of three).

There's been a few other troots but the above will do for now.

Allan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com