Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ewan Lindsay

Wading Boot Soles - Advice Please...
« on: 12/03/2011 at 18:30 »
Gents,

I'm going to buy some Bootfoot (can't be bothered with stockingfoot and another pair of boots) chest waders for this season and I've never really waded before.  I'm aware of the pros & cons of both from a noise/grip point of view and that in many parts of the world there are great concerns/laws regarding felt soles and the risks of spreading disease, beasties etc.

I don't think there are any laws yet in the U.K., but in order to "future proof' my waders, which soles should I go for (U.K. use only)?

Felt, Combi or spiked?

Cheers,

Ewan

Rob Brownfield

Re: Wading Boot Soles - Advice Please...
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2011 at 21:24 »
Just an opinion, but after years of boot foot waders and then finally getting stocking foot, I would never go back to boots.

Stocking gives much more support, are way more comfortable, allow you to walk miles if need be without blisters and allow you to have several different soles if that way inclined. Buy the Korker wading boots and you get one pair of boots, but with the choice of 3 removable/swappable soles.

I will be investing in a pair of the Orvis rubber soled boots (Ecotrax I think its called) with tungston studs already fitted. Partly because of the rubber sole and thus less risk of transporting disease, partly because I have never got on with felt soles.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2011 at 22:01 »
Hi Ewan,

I agree with Rob (must be getting sick with something)  :z7

Stocking foot waders and seperate boots are the way to go unless you have mobility problems that will make getting them on & off difficult.  The added support you get form a properly constructed boot rather than some welly effort is worth the hassle. 

As for soles, personal preference really.  I have some of the Orvis Eco Trax tungsten studded boots and they are great on any surface, I use them all the time for guiding, salmon fishing and in really muddy or slippy conditions.  My only complaint / concern is that they are noisey on the river bed hence I also have unstudded felts which I will usually wear if trout fishing, these are lethal in wet grass and on mud!

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/03/2011 at 01:27 »
I agree with Rob (must be getting sick with something)  :z7

Thats about 3 times now....get ya own opinions!..lol ;)

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #4 on: 13/03/2011 at 17:42 »
Rob/Ben,

Thanks for the advice.  Sounds like I may have to reconsider the stocking foot + separate boot option then...

I would be using them for trout fishing, initially on the Don, and maybe on Hampshire Chalkstreams.

I sense a visit to Banchory to check out the Eco Trax options (and waders).

Rob - are there any shops in Aberdeen selling the Korker ones?  Somers?

Cheers,

Ewan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 13/03/2011 at 18:05 »
Orvis are doing a Korkers boot this year with interchangeable sole, should be in stock sometime next week.

Cheers

Ben

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #6 on: 13/03/2011 at 18:18 »
Nice one - a One-Stop shop!  :grin

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #7 on: 19/03/2011 at 08:43 »
Hmmm...I may have to reconsider Ben.

Apparently, women find men in Vision gear irresistible and if I wear Vision Waders & Boots in the pub then they will help me pick up girls... :z12

The power of Advertising eh?

Ewan

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 19/03/2011 at 09:51 »
Perhaps the fella in the picture has to 'dress to the left' or has his waders 'baggy at the knees' for a reason which is appealing to the ladies  :wink :z4

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 19/03/2011 at 10:23 »
Lol never seen that vision advert before. Cant say I have ever found waders to be much of a turn on for the ladies I have known...more a case of trying to make sure they never see me wearing them! Maybe I need to try those sexy visions ones. 

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #10 on: 19/03/2011 at 10:59 »
At least I now know where I've been going wrong all these years - The guy at the bar has got three of them Q-ing up... :z14

Perhaps they're also discussing Rod length and action... :shock

Dutchfly

« Reply #11 on: 19/03/2011 at 13:01 »
Sorry guys, but it's pretty obvious that that picture's been taken in Holland  :z7

CU

Jeroen

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 19/03/2011 at 13:07 »
The person in the ad is a good friend of mine, (Cecil DuVent) & his agent said the ad was for the animal magnetism of wooden tea cups!

Dissapointingly the three young co-stars are infact from Lesbos and me and Cecil were invited to their hotel after the 'shoot' to watch them perform some form of wrestling they were into, we both declined as Eastenders was was coming on in 20 min's.

One of them 'Sadie' I think she called herself did comment on her preference for studded felt soles but was concerned as to the spread of alien species.

:z8

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 19/03/2011 at 17:48 »
Iain - whatever you've been smoking/drinking/sniffing..... is it available on prescription :?  :z4  :z4
Top post my man, top post  :cool:

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 19/03/2011 at 21:39 »
I have to say that wearing waders to the bar is a very useful trick! No trips to the toilet, just empty at the end of the night ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com