Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website.

Fishing The Fly In Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: River Don 2011  (Read 38355 times)
mdh
Forum Member

« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »

Got him!!! very happy 
Weighed at just under 4 3/4 lbs very happy
Poor photo sorry but adrenaline was pumping.
Taken on a cdc&elk  cheers

Fantastic fish Noel, Well done  cheers

Out of interest did he still have the leader that he snapped from you the other week?
iainCameron
Forum Member

« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »

Got him!!! very happy 

awesome - good work man!

wind knot
Forum Member

« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »

Stunning fish Noel Well done   worthy

I had an emotional night on the river last night also. Spotted a big fish taking sedges downstream of where i was fishing so started to work my way down into casting position.  Made a downstream cast to him and up he came on the 2nd drift to a elk hair caddis.  Thought i had cracked it a new PB brown so next 5mins were spent crapping myself. Well when i landed he he turned out to be a 4.5lb seatrout.  Must admit although it was a stunning fish was gutted it wasnt a brown  sad

Camera lense never opened either so photos are rubbish.

Michael
Dryflee
Forum Member

« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »

Couple of proper 'Rod Benders' there and finally we're seeing a few of the better browns.  Cracking seatroot as well (was once told seatroot don't take dries about 20 mins after i'd landed a 3 1/2 pounder off the Deveron on a DHE  lots of laughs)

Best running water fish for me so far this year has been a mere 2lb 4oz (last Monday with a 2lb 2oz taken just before on a middle section of the Deveron in very very low water)

So after seeing Noel's fish i'll have to take the advice from my old school report cards 'Must try harder'  lots of laughs

Well done Noel, you certainly put the work in for that one.  Any sign of the previous hooking?
An Chuileog
Forum Member

« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »

Cheers guys. Checked it carefully and no sign. Good to know they can shake out de-barbed hooks. There is another slight possibility, maybe it's not the same fish...
An Chuileog
Forum Member

« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »

Lovely fish Michael and as I said last night I would swop you. Been after a sea trout like that for a few years now.
Big Daddy
Forum Member

« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »

Congrats Noel & Mike - magnificant fish.  thumbs up

They both make my 1st Don Brownie caught last Saturday look like bait...!  However, you've now inspred me to try again.  worthy

Your heart rate must have been borderline coronary Noel!

Ewan

mdh
Forum Member

« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »

Noel wasn't implying you'd damaged it was just curious. 

You'll need to try again to make sure it's the same fish!
Jedi
Forum Member

« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2011, 19:28:59 PM »

Michael

Well done anyone would be over the moon to catch such a bonnie Sea Troot  thumbs up

cheers

Jim

"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."
Ben_D
Forum Moderator

« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2011, 20:45:38 PM »

Noel,

Just saw your picture, cracking fish and well deserved.  Who took the picture for you? 

Cheers

Ben

Ricardo
Forum Member

« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2011, 22:57:50 PM »

Noel,

Superb fish...well done, a real stoater,definitely deserved. I have an appointment with a similar fish though missed him twice on the same night recently...wish the river was on my doorstep like the Don is for you though. As a matter of interest did you measure it at all?

Richard

Richard
An Chuileog
Forum Member

« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2011, 00:06:49 AM »

Just back from the river. It's doesn't seem to be up much but it's taken on quiet a bit of colour. The trout were going bonkers!! There were some small olives on the water and took my first fish on a paradun, it was 1.25 lbs. The next pool there were several lb+ fish feeding hard. 1 eventually took the paradun but I cleverly whipped it out if his mouth. Wasn't having much joy so had a look about and noticed a few sedges. Went through a few different sedge patterns and had 2 more 1.25 and 1.5 lb. By far the majority were ignoring my offerings though. A huge brownie head and tailed 20 yards up the pool. Saw it clearly and would think it was 6 or 7 lbs easily... It did rise to one of my offerings but didn't take. Couldn't resist going back to see if last nights fish was showing and I was delighted to see that he was back on station rising freely very happy

Hi Richard I took note against the rod so will let you know tomorrow.
Ben you have lost me Huh? I will assume you are taking the piss stick tongue out

Anyone care to recommend a pattern for when they are hitting sedge? Can't seem to get much consistency with cdc& elk, balloon caddis or emerger patterns.
rabbitangler
Forum Member

« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2011, 00:17:34 AM »

i tied a sedge that looks like a tiny sedgehog using snowshoe rabbit instead of deer Noel. if I can find them I'll post you a couple.
Ben_D
Forum Moderator

« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2011, 00:18:21 AM »

Ben you have lost me Huh? I will assume you are taking the piss stick tongue out

Anyone care to recommend a pattern for when they are hitting sedge? Can't seem to get much consistency with cdc& elk, balloon caddis or emerger patterns.

Noel,

That's not a bad pic hence my presumption that you were not the photographer, you are usually the only guy I can rely on to make my pics look consistently good, you've let me down  lots of laughs

Walked a stretch of the river from about 5 - 7:30pm, there was a lot of fish moving but I was not able to fish  sad

Cheers

Ben

An Chuileog
Forum Member

« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2011, 07:18:39 AM »

OI!!! Dixon' what an insult, at least I actually get the fish in my picture's. Unlike you with your "interesting" pics of out of focus bankside foliage. Also wasnt there a photography competition on this forum at christmas time ran by Jedi in case your memory is fading. Who won that again?? Ben dick-less? no dont think so, oh wait a minute let me think...it was me. So fek off stick tongue out
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

The Fly Line Shop - Barrio Fly Lines