Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Abel

spinning the deveron
« on: 21/02/2011 at 09:23 »
Hi guys im looking to buy a wychwood true spin rod for the deveron what weight rod would be best 9Ft 5- 20 g or
9FT 15-40 g  i have never spun a river before and was wondering what the guys that fished the river thought thanks for any reeplies  :z18 H

Hamish Young

Re: spinning the deveron
« Reply #1 on: 21/02/2011 at 09:35 »
I've not spun the Deveron either, but I have done a fair chunk of spinning so personally I'd opt for the 15-40 grams rod.
Your options of lure are more varied with the 'heavier' rod IMHO :z17

:z3

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 21/02/2011 at 15:02 »
Sorry can't comment as i don't spin very often so wouldn't know a good river spinning kit if it hit me, not without asking anyway.  :z8

Are you allowed to spin the Deveron for salmon?  I always thought it was flee only?  :z8

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 21/02/2011 at 15:04 »
Nope on the Turrif association beat they can't wait until the water is above the gauge to get the heavy metal out.
Not sure about other beats

:z18

Jim

James Abel

« Reply #4 on: 21/02/2011 at 15:24 »
you can spin or my cousin was poaching :shock thanks for the repllies i have ordered thed bigger size :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 21/02/2011 at 22:00 »
Nope on the Turrif association beat they can't wait until the water is above the gauge to get the heavy metal out.
Not sure about other beats

:z18

Jim

Shit Jim, had forgotten about the Turriff water.  Almost got a Rapalla in the coupon whilst stalking a big troot from some knobber on the other bank a few years back.   :shock

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 23/02/2011 at 09:32 »
Sorry, I have only just seen this.

Being a complete lure nut (Not for game fish these days but Pike, Perch, Ide etc) I have a collection of lure rods that would scare folk :)

You need to consider what lures you will be using. If fishing Rapalas, I would have said go for the lighter rod.

If using Blair spoons, Tobys, Flying C's etc, then the heavier rod.

Whinbush

« Reply #7 on: 06/03/2011 at 02:02 »
Can spin the Rothiemay beats as well ,or at least you were allowed a few years back

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com