Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Seals on Ythan estury?
« on: 14/02/2011 at 13:21 »
The wife had a walk along Newburgh beach on Friday and said there was no seals, I was there this morning and sure enough not a seal to be seen.
Is there a time that they would head to sea for something or could they have been scared away?

Dave

Rob Brownfield

Re: Seals on Ythan estury?
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2011 at 14:36 »
If we were to believe the WWF etc then there are meant to be more African Elephants on this earth than Grey Seals. So, as I have never seen an Elephant at Newburgh, I would say not seeing seals is very common ;)

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2011 at 21:10 »
If we were to believe the WWF etc then there are meant to be more African Elephants on this earth than Grey Seals. So, as I have never seen an Elephant at Newburgh, I would say not seeing seals is very common ;)

Normally if you go to the Ythan estuary at Newburgh it's not unusual to see in excess of 200 seals any day of the week that is why I thought it strange that there were'nt any to be seen on Fri or today.

Dave

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2011 at 21:56 »
..... would it not be reasonable to suggest that until the main reason they congregate around the Ythan estuary is present in sufficient numbers (that would be sea trout & salmon) to prey on, seals will move elsewhere to find food.

Therefore, spotting them around the estuary at the moment is perhaps less certain than it will be in (perhaps) 3 months time ???

I saw plenty of them in the estuary when I fished there....... and I can recall when I lived on Ardnamurchan the old skipper I started working with never set his salmon bag nets until the seal populations movements 'told him to'.

:z3

Dave Mundie

« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2011 at 18:25 »
..... would it not be reasonable to suggest that until the main reason they congregate around the Ythan estuary is present in sufficient numbers (that would be sea trout & salmon) to prey on, seals will move elsewhere to find food.

Therefore, spotting them around the estuary at the moment is perhaps less certain than it will be in (perhaps) 3 months time ???

I saw plenty of them in the estuary when I fished there....... and I can recall when I lived on Ardnamurchan the old skipper I started working with never set his salmon bag nets until the seal populations movements 'told him to'.

:z3

Yep I follow the logic but I can't remember there being no seals last year.

Dave

tie-fly

« Reply #5 on: 16/02/2011 at 18:37 »
Hi all i heard there was a seal at methlick last year  :z8

Graham Allan

« Reply #6 on: 20/02/2011 at 14:08 »
Perhaps they have moved offshore a bit due to the heavy swell / breakers on the bar .
         Graham

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com