Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

A step to far ?
« on: 31/01/2011 at 20:55 »
£40 for a pair of nippers is this taking it to far ? even Iain would baulk at that  :wink

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/abel-nippers~8960.html

:z18

Jim

bordertroot

Re: A step to far ?
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2011 at 21:31 »
Aye ,Im with you Jim,but I see they cut 100lb. mono, maybe they should use nail clippers  :z4 :z4

Bob

Mike Barrio

Re: A step too far ?
« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2011 at 21:34 »
Aye, but they've sold out :shock ..... or maybe haven't taken any in to stock yet :z4

Cheers
Mike

flybox

« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2011 at 21:44 »
Hi Guys,

Jedi, I totally agree. Lots of these overpriced "designer" tools are not for practicality, they are there to make a statement. It's like fleeces, some well known companies charge well over £100 for a softshell, I nip to cosco for a £20 job , which does the same thing. It's under about 5 layers anyway in this country!
Boots sell a pair of toenail clippers for £1.99 and they even come with a file to remove barbs and a dodgy hook thing, which will open the beer  :z18!!!!
Not long before we pay £1000 for a rod. I for one average 3-4 breaks every season, so I will be sticking with the proven mid-priced gear....oh and the boots nail clippers!!!

Paul

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 31/01/2011 at 22:43 »
Aye Jim,

Too rich for me. Abel obviously have a good name and a fair following but it's hard for me to justify 4000 pence on a pair of nippers. I use the tubular fishpond ones which were purchased at a limit price of around £14.00 in a sale and that was just because I had a couple of pairs of named nippers around the £10 mark that turned out to be real sh**.

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 31/01/2011 at 22:57 »
Hi Guys,

Jedi, I totally agree. Lots of these overpriced "designer" tools are not for practicality, they are there to make a statement. It's like fleeces, some well known companies charge well over £100 for a softshell, I nip to cosco for a £20 job , which does the same thing. It's under about 5 layers anyway in this country!
Boots sell a pair of toenail clippers for £1.99 and they even come with a file to remove barbs and a dodgy hook thing, which will open the beer  :z18!!!!
Not long before we pay £1000 for a rod. I for one average 3-4 breaks every season, so I will be sticking with the proven mid-priced gear....oh and the boots nail clippers!!!

Paul

Aye but you forgot aboot yer wee manicure set fae boots though  :z4 :z4

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #6 on: 01/02/2011 at 00:00 »
I would just loose em anyway.  :z10 it worries me how much i have spent on replacing lost clippers, nippers, gink, dryshake, thermometers etc. Thought about one of those C+F lanyards but i would probably loose that too!!  :z7

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 01/02/2011 at 08:50 »
Depends what you need them for I guess. If using in a salty environment then I think they would be worth the money as standard ones rust within weeks. Probably an overkill in freshwater.

So, £40 for what looks like ever (replaceable blades, saltwater proof) or paying £4 or so every few months.

The trouble I would have though is that I lose things like that fairly quickly  :oops

Offthebard

« Reply #8 on: 01/02/2011 at 19:08 »
Cheapies at a pound a go, in the salt water I just use a bit of vaseline on them and they stay as good as new - useful for my chapped lis too :z3.

40 pound! - Chr*st I could almost build a small river rod for that. :shock.

Sandy B. 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com