Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Small river trout fishing
« on: 29/01/2011 at 11:59 »
Hi guys :cool:

Soon be time to be able to explore the rivers again ..... when you are fishing the smaller rivers, do you make your way up a river or make your way down? Do you think about this, or simply get to the bank, choose a likely looking spot and start fishing?

Cheers
Mike

Paul Garrigan

Re: Small river trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2011 at 12:13 »
I always work my way up river when targeting (attmpting to target :z7) specific fish. However, if i am fishing spiders i tend to fish these downstream and across, working my way down.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2011 at 01:23 »
Almost always up for me Mike unless situation dictates fishing deep

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2011 at 01:55 »
I've always tended to walk up a river, whether walking it or fishing it, especially if I'm by myself. I guess it just goes back to being better for spotting fish and not putting them down.

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 30/01/2011 at 06:34 »
I've always tended to walk up a river, whether walking it or fishing it, especially if I'm by myself. I guess it just goes back to being better for spotting fish and not putting them down.

Cheers
Mike

I'd echo that :z16

sandy

Allan Liddle

Re: Small river trout fishing New
« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2011 at 09:44 »

Cheers
Mike

I'd agree with that also Mike, however it also goes with the ability to cover a lot of water quickly whilst exploring. I find it easier to fish quickly upstream as i do down, meaning i can pick my spots easier instead of generally fishing it all (as i tend to do whilst fishing across and down).

We've got some outstanding small streams throughout the Highlands from far off and remote, to easily accessable roadside (often overlooked)
Fish size can be surprising as well, but for the most part it's Lilliput waters, Lilliput fish (well more standard Scottish standard 6 to 12 oz which isn't all that bad and well worth a cast or two eh?)

Add to this the diversity of these waters from overgrown and enslosed, through to rambling open upland moor and heather lined, each one offers it's own challenge and attraction.

Here's a cfew pics to help pass the late Winter blues....

When it all comes together, even wee streams can produce fish like this

Rolling upland stream

Hidden stream in Gairloch

THis one has gloden troots and real gloden flakes (If you've the patience to search for them)

( edit = resize & rotate photos )

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 30/01/2011 at 10:21 »
upstream.

Iain

paavo

« Reply #7 on: 05/02/2011 at 13:53 »
Normally I donīt fish burns like in the pics. from Dryflee. If, probably upstream I think.
Nice trout there.  :z16

//Harri

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com