Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Barbless Hooks
« on: 22/01/2011 at 21:01 »
Hi guys

Just had my SANACC paperwork in and noticed that this years National Rivers Championship has a mandatatory manufatured barbless hook rule, so looks like a whole new tying regieme for me before May.

Trouble is after years of working with my favourites i'll have to find the best replacements.  So far it looks like Partridge offer the best range i can use to substitute my straight dry, curved dry (very important) nymph and Czech patterns.

Anyone had experience with these hooks:

Ideal Nymph Barbless, Czech Nymph, Fine Wire Cxech Nymph (hopefully these are close enough to Kamasan B100 range fur my important dries) and surehold lightning dry.

Thanks for all input in advance with the above, or advise on other makes out there.

Cheers

Allan

bordertroot

Re: Barbless Hooks
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2011 at 21:11 »
This is your lucky day Allan.Send me your unusable flies and I will return boxes of `Partridge` barbless hooks :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2011 at 21:36 »
Have a look here

http://shop.siman.cz/

Some nice hooks in the barbless range from Knapek and skalka  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2011 at 21:38 »
This is your lucky day Allan.Send me your unusable flies and I will return boxes of `Partridge` barbless hooks :z4

PMSL - good thinking  :z4 :z4 :z4

Allan, I've only usd Tiemco barbless so can't help with this one I'm afraid  :z10

:z3

Peter McCallum

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 22/01/2011 at 22:40 »
I like Tiemco 103BL's as barbless dry hooks.  Some of the Varivas hooks are fairly good too.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 23/01/2011 at 09:18 »
Allan

I use SLD's for all my dries and spiders, i love them. Superb hooks
Same great profile and shape as the TMC 103BL's but are gunmetal rather than black, which i prefer.

The varivas 2120 wave barbless hooks are very nice, but have a fairly small gape compared to something like an SLD, as does the TMC 100/900/902 IMHO. :wink
The Partridge czech nymph hooks i have here , i won and are HUGE for the size think size 8 for a labelled 14 :shock
nice and strong though and a great shape, great for Czech nymphs, funnily enough :z6
Personally i don't like the Knapex hooks, they are a bit too square :z6

I also use TMC 2487 BL's and they are great hooks, almost identical to the B100 and available from 10-24 :z16 These are bronze coloured too, like the Kamasan hooks. Superb hooks.

The TMC 206BL's are really nice hooks too if you want a sedge/shrimpy shape, these are black, but it is not such an issue for me with nymphs :z4 I love using them for Rhyacs etc.

I've not used the Varivas 2200BL but they look great, and the quality should be very high.

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/2830/products/Varivas_2200BL.aspx

So i'd be looking for SLD's ,TMC 2487BL's/Varivas 2200BL and possibly the TMC 206BL's as well
Here's a link to the TMC website, gives a good idea of the shapes :z16
http://www.tiemco.co.jp/english/products/flyhook.html

Nice to see the authorities that be becoming more enlightend :cool:

Mike has a good selection of Barbless hooks, if i remember correctly, i think the ones we looked at for stock would suit you brilliantly, but i'm not sure what stage everything is at :z8, worth asking him though :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2011 at 20:24 »
Many thanks guys (especially Sandy, brilliant info)
Will ask Mike about the hooks he has at the casting gathering next week and give those mentioned a once over on the net.

Cheers guys

Allan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 24/01/2011 at 11:33 »
Be warned, the Partridge barbless Czech Nymph hooks are HUGE for there size. A size 16 is about an 8 normal B100, 14s about a 6 and so on. Caught me out when I ordered online :(

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com