Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

clark

So wheres open ?
« on: 18/01/2011 at 13:35 »
Hey guys, a couple of uni friends and I are itching to go fishing at the moment so I was just wondering what fisheries are open ? We've had a bit more settled and mild weather at the moment so I though that there may be a few. Also failing the fisheries side of things I was also thinking about taking them up to Peterhead south pier. I know there are cod around at this time of year but I was just wondering if anyone had been sea fishing it the last month and had any advice ?

Cheers, Calum

Jim Eddie

Re: So wheres open ?
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2011 at 18:36 »
Calum

Delgatie and Lochter should be open , for cod you are best to  head south to Inverbervie. You can fish of Peterhead South Breakwater but you will lose a lot of gear.

:z18

Jim

Kev Danby

« Reply #2 on: 18/01/2011 at 22:43 »
Calum, Lochter had some open water and was fishable on Sunday so there should be more open water by this weekend. As you might imagine if the whole of the lochs are not open it might be a bit crowded.

Similar story for Loch Insch at least two of the loch have open water I might give it a go this weekend.

I emailed them and they both gave prompt replies, try that as this will give the most up to date info.

Concur with Jim, my experience of Peterhead south harbour is a good place to sacrifice tackle to the sea gods. Fishing on inside of the harbour is not so bad, lots of bites but fish were on the small side (fish finger size). I fished up there in Sept so the fishing may be a bit different now.

clark

« Reply #3 on: 19/01/2011 at 10:30 »
Cheers for the advice guys  :z16 I'll give lochter and that a ring this week to see what the deal is.

cheers, Calum

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 21/01/2011 at 11:33 »
I have had 4 trips this year for the Cod, all at Bervie....and seen one keepable Cod. I have had a few around the 1.5 pound mark, but its been hard off the beach (sea conditions have been flat calm due to offshore winds)

Peterhead or deep water rock marks have been producing fish to 8lbs or so.

If Cod fishing up here, it does not matter where you choose, you will lose gear :)

Kev Danby

« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2011 at 12:32 »
Rob I take you have been fishing with conventional see tackle rather than the fly.

simonc

« Reply #6 on: 21/01/2011 at 18:16 »
Hi just a quick question, has anyone managed to fish lochter thrusday or Friday? Was looking to go Saturday morning. I did email lochter last night but had no reply today.

Cheers

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 21/01/2011 at 18:53 »
I was thinking of heading out to Lochter Saturday morning as well. Mike passed it and it was still frozen with some open water near the outflow, also he could not see the pond on the other side of the road.

:z18

Jim

simonc

« Reply #8 on: 21/01/2011 at 19:02 »
Cheers for that, I thought there would be the usual places where it's fishable. I better make it early doors or places will be filled up quick.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 23/01/2011 at 09:02 »
So this is now a pertinent question for me as well :z7
Seems i'm going to find myself at home for an impromtu week long visit, from wednesday.

Would be nice to know if there is anywhere i could get to wet a line, wouldn't mind a trip out for a Grey lady :z8
But a few 'bows would suffice :z7

Any ideas ???

Cheers

Sandy

Kev Danby

« Reply #10 on: 23/01/2011 at 22:39 »
Fished Insch today, tough going but managed to winkle a few out on a black spider, fish were higher up than I expected. Still a lot of weed and Colrayne still frozen, some open water on Kelloch near the water inlet and about half of Insch clear of Ice.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com