Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Anyone else Stuck?
« Reply #45 on: 04/12/2010 at 16:26 »
New rims and spare snow tyres will be sourced ASAP.

What size rims and tyres you looking for Kev :?

:z3

Kevin Muir

« Reply #46 on: 04/12/2010 at 17:54 »
Hi Hamish

I am looking for 5 stud 17" rims to take 205 / 50 X 17" tyres.

The stupid fat low profile things are just crap in the snow without seriously aggressive tyres.

You will have sussed that I am not very impressed with the stupid B****y thing in the snow.  Rant over.

At least I got out today to help out a mate who also had car problems this morning.

Oh the joy of winter motoring.

Kev.

John Reid

« Reply #47 on: 04/12/2010 at 18:08 »
What are the smallest wheels that will go over the disks Kevin?  I am trying to get 2 cheap 17" BMWs allows for an e92 3 series to get skinnier winter grips on the better half's car.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #48 on: 04/12/2010 at 20:02 »
Frozen in again this morning  :cry  Could have been worse, at least the car started!!

Pleased you got moving Kev, did you let the tyres down to get up the hill?

Ben

Kevin Muir

« Reply #49 on: 04/12/2010 at 20:29 »
Hi John, I will have to measure the discs to check wwhat size rim I need to go over the disc and caliper.

How much smaller than 17 " can you nornally go.

I would be very happy to put 15" 70 profile snow tyres on when there is snow forecast.

I have a compressor, trolley jack and a impact wrench at home so it should only take a few minutes to swap them over.

Ben, some kind soul had put some salt on the road so it was much easier with standard tyre pressures this morning.  I still had to reverse back in Johnshaven on a very slight slope because some stupid git would not pull awauy from the junction in time making me pull on the handbrake, you guessed it, spinning wheels again :z8

If I can get away with smaller diameter, narrower rims and thinner tyres that will definately be the best way forward and cheaper as well, sounds like a plan.

At least I am mobile again which is something.

Kev.

John Reid

« Reply #50 on: 04/12/2010 at 20:43 »
If you can get 15" wheels with 196 65 15's on the car then you will find plenty 5 stud ones on ebay pretty cheap.

They will make a huge difference with winter grips on them. 

Glad you are getting out and about though.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #51 on: 04/12/2010 at 21:12 »
Big twaw on here in Kintore tonight and it's raining. According to metcheck's latest it's all over!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #52 on: 04/12/2010 at 21:29 »
Aye same here this afternoon Noel , bloody ridiculous could not move for gritters, just in time for the rain to wash it all away, what the feck has happened to common sense.

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #53 on: 04/12/2010 at 21:45 »
It was snowing in town earlier.

How is the Hamish's new toy dealing with the snow?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #54 on: 04/12/2010 at 21:51 »
Thawing here a bit too.

Know what you mean about gritters.  Bugger all for days and now, stuck behind three on the way home.  Not sure what that is about, I heard on Thursday that Aberdeenshite Council were "rationing" grit and were waiting for more to arrive that was on a boat.  I think I remember them saying that they had more than enough for this winter.  Below about -7C gritting does not work but it has not been -7C or below the whole week, think this would probably be their excuse however.  Maybe there is good reaon for it but I'm baffled!!

Kev, I know I can't for smaller wheels to my truck, 15's will not fit, they'd catch the calipers on the front.

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #55 on: 04/12/2010 at 22:27 »
Kev - what the hell is it you're driving :? :! Should be something in the owners manual about possible alternate wheel size for your model, I went from 17" (215/45/17 - more like bloody rubber bands, not tyres :shock) on the Alfa to 15" but they are a squeeze only just clearing the brake calipers.

Matt - the Alfa has sadly spent as much time back at the dealers as it has in my hands since I bought it  :cry However, the few miles it has done with the 15" Gislaved snow tyres on were genuinely unbelievably good. I might even get a chance to try them again before the winter is out...... who knows  :z8 On the other hand, I might just get something else instead.....

:z3

PS - No, I will not be joining the Surf owners club  :z7 I have possibly found something even more..... 'unusual' :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #56 on: 04/12/2010 at 22:36 »

PS - No, I will not be joining the Surf owners club  :z7

Couldn't really see you in one, not hairdresser enough mate :z7

I have possibly found something even more..... 'unusual' :cool:

Let me guess..... whatever it is (no matter how good) it will need at least x, y & z doing to it as "it should have been made that way in the factory"  :z4 :z4 :z4

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #57 on: 04/12/2010 at 22:44 »
Couldn't really see you in one, not hairdresser enough mate :z7

I don't have enough hair to worry about driving a tarts handbag any more..... but I do have my standards  :z7

Let me guess..... whatever it is (no matter how good) it will need at least x, y & z doing to it as "it should have been made that way in the factory"  :z4 :z4 :z4

More or less, good to know you've been paying attention  :z16 What I'm considering is a bit retro..... it is a four wheel drive, it is Japanese and is not a Subaru, nor is it diesel. It's not a hatchback or a saloon or even an estate and Mazda don't make it either.
If anyone guesses it right first time..... well done. There's no prize.

H

Ben Dixon

« Reply #58 on: 04/12/2010 at 22:51 »

:?  :?  :?

Alex Burnett

« Reply #59 on: 04/12/2010 at 23:00 »
What I'm considering is a bit retro..... it is a four wheel drive, it is Japanese and is not a Subaru, nor is it diesel. It's not a hatchback or a saloon or even an estate and Mazda don't make it either.
If anyone guesses it right first time..... well done. There's no prize.

H

Nissan Qashqai

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com