Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Don 2013
« on: 29/11/2010 at 12:50 »
Hi folks :z16

Fishing The Fly has always been based around all things fly fishing in Aberdeenshire. Over the years the forum membership has grown, the discussions are now more diverse and we have members all over the world.

We are fishing in some fantastic locations and naturally want to speak about them :cool:

It is great to speak about our good days on the water and to share a few photos ...... but we will obviously have concerns about naming our favourite river beats and loch locations.

Please use your common sense with this ....... and simply speak about "on the River Deveron near Huntly", "on the Upper/Middle/Lower River Don", or "a loch near Inverness" for example.

If you would like to know more about a given location mentioned in somebody's post, the question can be asked via the PM message system :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

River Don 2013
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/2013 at 18:15 »
First day out today.  Only one kelt to show for the day but nice to be back out casting flies.

Any news of anything fresh?

Cheers

Ben

Peter Rawlinson

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2013 at 06:42 »
A few kelts , and one fresh fish of  9 lbs fish for a guy called Andy on the middle river .

Mark Zhang

« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2013 at 10:11 »
Thanks for sharing the information. Maybe going out tonight. If do, will let you know the result. keep  :z15

Tight lines.

Mark

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2013 at 14:19 »
Gold Bodied Willie Gun. 

Yellow and black with a silver body

I'm thinking of adding some big massive black tubes with a silver body as per H's post. 

I always carry a selection of sunrays standard Brooks sunray and a few Conns too. 

Yellow and black Monkey.

Thanks

Matt

Mark Zhang

« Reply #5 on: 18/02/2013 at 09:44 »
Went out Sat 2pm to 5pm. Caught my first Kelt, on the flies (black and yellow). Great weather, but the water was really cold, after I released the fish, I couldn't bend my finger any more, but a good start for me.  :z18

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #6 on: 21/02/2013 at 11:00 »
Cold weather today but heading out this afternoon for a few hours...probably kemnay way.  Anyone else been on the water the last few days?

J

danbruce

« Reply #7 on: 21/02/2013 at 12:04 »
Hi toshkerr,

I was out at fintray for a couple of hours this morning. Water was pretty dirty and had risen a bit. Might be nice up kemnay way though.

Cheers,
Dan

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #8 on: 21/02/2013 at 12:15 »
Cheers for that Dan, hadn't looked at the water quality today.  Mother in law is in town so hopefully Kemnay will be fishable!

Jonathan

Mark Zhang

« Reply #9 on: 22/02/2013 at 15:12 »
Has anyone been on Kemnay beat? any luck? Cheers.

Tight lines.

Mark

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #10 on: 22/02/2013 at 19:05 »
I fished through one pool this afternoon in kemnay, but preferred the look of Kintore so went there for a couple hours instead. Didn't see anything at either place but a lovely fresh day to be out!

Graham Nicol

« Reply #11 on: 22/02/2013 at 19:19 »
Has anyone heard of any success on the river yet?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 22/02/2013 at 19:53 »
To my knowledge, there have been 10 caught from Grandholm to as far up as Tillifoure.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 23/02/2013 at 23:41 »
Bought some Salar tube singles from Ben yesterday and was quite keen to give them a try today.

Fished the middle Don, the first hour and a half saw quite cold temperatures and the odd short flurry of hail/ sleet.

The first pool quickly proved a waste of time and I'm convinced that I hadn't the the tip density to take the fly down to the fishes level due to water speed and depth, but Salmon being Salmon and me being me I fished it anyway.

On to the next (shallower and slower) pool and new hope.

Just worked throught the head of the pool when the sun came out and was even quite warm  :z12  ten or so steps into the middle of the pool and a fish took on the first strip after the dangle,  :z15 instantly I knew it was a kelt but how would the single hook fair? I wasn't hopefull due to the higher percentage of fish I've lost when hooked this way and a minute or so later the fish spat the hook at me.  :z10

Although dissapointed about the hook hold not being great I was still upbeat about the use of the single with a tube.

A dozen or so steps later a fish took the fly on the swing and again it was pretty quickly established to be a kelt. This time, after what turned out to be a very respectable tussle, the fish was landed and the single hook swiftly removed from the scissors - I was very pleased with the hook up.

The sun still shone and progress down the pool continued. Another dozen or so steps later the fly was taken, again on the swing, and another kelt was  landed and swiftly unhooked.

Unfortunately there were no tales of spring fish but at least, for me, a positive in that I will be using singles for my tube fly hooks from now on.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 23/02/2013 at 23:52 »
Good shit Iain  :cool:

I'm going to use singles for a full season to see how I get on.  Over 99% of them go back anyway so I'm not that bothered if they fall off.

Looking for a hook that looks like a Salar but smaller for some summer patters now.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com