Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stuart Smith

winter fishing
« on: 20/10/2010 at 17:51 »
is anyone heading out on the river this winter for the lady of the stream?

i havent been out for them for a couple of years but going to try alot this winter

stuart

John Reid

Re: winter fishing
« Reply #1 on: 20/10/2010 at 17:53 »
I really fancy a go Stuart as I have never fly fished for them.

Caught a lot trotting a maggot when I was younger.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2010 at 10:51 »
I have 3 pints of maggots in the fridge waiting for next week. Woohoo!

« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2010 at 12:02 »
Last year I caught my first Grayling on the Tummel.  Only made it out on the river once last winter but am hoping to make a better go of it this year.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2010 at 16:10 »
where are you heading for Rob?

Robbie ive fished the tummel it huge.never had a grayling off of it

im going to try the clyde a few times

stuart

Dave Bisset

« Reply #5 on: 21/10/2010 at 18:32 »
Are there any grayling in the Don? never seen or heard of anyone fishing for them but would'nt mind having a try for one.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2010 at 18:44 »
Are there any grayling in the Don?

Now there's an interesting question...There was a photo going about a few years ago of a big dead Grayling that was found on the banks of the Don. Was on here I'm sure but I cant find it. 

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2010 at 18:52 »
Now there's an interesting question...There was a photo going about a few years ago of a big dead Grayling that was found on the banks of the Don. Was on here I'm sure but I cant find it. 

I remember that Noel , think it wa maybe a wind up. I would guess if there were Grayling in the don they would be caught by trout fisherman.

I think the nearest population of Grayling would be in the Dean at forfar.

:z18

Jim

Stuart Smith

« Reply #8 on: 21/10/2010 at 19:23 »
yep i had my first grayling of the year from the dean the other week on a dry.it was about the pound and a quarter mark.

never got a photo because i wasnt fishing.i went down for a look at the river and watched a fish rise for a few minutes,  legged it the mile back to te car to get the rod.couldnt belive it was a huge grayling

it was the biggest ive ever had anyway by a long shot

Iain Cameron

« Reply #9 on: 23/10/2010 at 17:41 »
...was a photo going about a few years ago of a big dead Grayling that was found on the banks of the Don.

hi noel,
it was me that found the dead grayling, in the margins of the river Don, below the Haughton Bridge, couple hundred metres above the caravan park. It was dead, reasonably fresh, and had had it's stomach sliced cleanly from head to tail and been gutted.

i found it, photo-ed it, posted it here. Never made any claims that it was a Don fish. Would be nice but... I suspect it had been planted there -it was spring/early summer so could have been someone on holidays elsewhere  (though who would bother!?!?). WIth so many people fishing the Don, you'd expect grayling to be sighted if they were resident.

cheers
iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 23/10/2010 at 17:43 »
I have 3 pints of maggots in the fridge waiting for next week. Woohoo!

where you off to? got room for one more?

oh hang on, forget that... remembered your volvo, very pretty but 3 pints of maggots and the luggage space is used up....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com