Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard H

Fishing the Fly in Azerbaijan?
« on: 24/09/2010 at 21:39 »
Family and I will be relocating to Baku in next 6 weeks and trying to find out what if any fishing there may be.

There are mountains, rivers, lakes and an "alpinish" environment at higher levels so should be something I can tempt with a flee. 

There is not really anything that can be described as a tourist agency nor any fishing clubs in Azerbaijan so struggling to find out anything about fishing there.

Would welcome any info that forums members could share!

The rods will be coming anyway and it may just be case of trial and error, which may make for some interesting posts!

Thanks

oor44wullie

Re: Fishing the Fly in Azerbaijan?
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2010 at 23:13 »
From my brief visit to Azerbijan found Baku area to be dominated by presence of natural sulphur. Also word of dumping of Russian nuclear waste in area,  so would be reluctant to eat anything that you may catch.

Best of luck in your new home.

Mike...

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 27/09/2010 at 09:28 »
You have that big thing called the Caspian Sea there :) However, as already stated, the fish tend to be rather "tainted" by some nasty things.

There are meant to be carp in some of the parks, and there is a sort of canal that runs through one of them which my partner said she saw some "big brown fish with big scales" swimming about...I take them to be carp as well.

The good news though is that there is a trout, Salmo Trutta Caspius, which is basically a Sea Trout in appearance and habit. I think I am right in saying they are not as subtle as UK sea trout in that they are very predator and feed mainly on fish and crustaceans. Because of this they get to silly sizes...20kg+ :)

Hope that helps a little...I will see what my partner can find out when she is out there next week. She is an environmental chemist and has access to lots of data reguarding fish and things :)

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 27/09/2010 at 16:53 »
The translation is rather amusing  :z4

http://azerbaijan.orexca.com/fishing.shtml

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 27/09/2010 at 20:47 »
That link is hilarious Jim, I could only manage to read so far though as I think my brain started to bleed a little bit :z4 

Richard H

« Reply #5 on: 28/09/2010 at 18:27 »
Thanks for the feedback and any future tips- I have also seen mention of a Caspian Salmon- this may be the "sea trout" you mentioned.

It'll be fun exploring.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com