Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

As many will know, I moved to Inverness with work the best part of a year ago. For a multitude of reasons she who must be obeyed and I are only now moving all our worldly goods to Inverness-shire to our new home near Beauly.

So, with a bit of time on my hands before we move, I got to thinking about Aberdeenshire and realised that for 17 years I've lived and worked in the area  :shock
Time flies when you're having fun.
So what changes have there been over the years :?
Lots.

When I moved here there were a fraction of the fisheries there are now, some have fallen by the wayside but the Aberdeenshire stillwater fisher has more options now than ever before.
The quality of fisheries has improved hugely over those years, rivaling the best the UK has to offer. However, there is one fishery I will miss and I'm sure it wont take a genius to work out which one. I still have ticket #1 when Mike opened the doors to Haddo  :wink I rate Haddo as the best fishery in the NE, others come close in different ways, but of all the managed fisheries it's the one I will miss the most. Not least because I have made friends there, drunk obsene amounts of coffee, smoked too many cigarettes, had great fishing and spent grand days out in great company.

The Don has changed in that time too, 'back in the day' I could spracchle down to the water when the family business was the Colquhonnie Hotel and bag a trout or two. I don't fish up there enough now as the river has changed mightily in that time, but somehow I don't think it's quite the same. Nostalgia :? I don't think so. Lack of talent :? Hmmmm, maybe I'm not patient enough these days :wink Undoubtedly there are better river trout anglers out there than me . That said, I can't really put my finger on it. I do think there's been a change in how the river 'is'. IMHO things are changing for the better on the Don, it's going to take a lot of time and probably some spilt blood, sweat and tears but I'm confident those with the best interests of the river at heart will see through.

Will I miss the Don :?

Tricky question. Yes and no. Without any doubt the Don has been the most fickle and frustrating fishing 'mistress' I have known, never expensive but a right pain in the arse :! Just when you think you've cracked the 'code' it turns round and bites you in the backside  :z7 I will say this though, it's probably the best kept Salmon fishing secret in Scotland  :wink ooops  :z4 I have no idea why the Don has become a minor obsession for me over the years, it just has  :roll Hopefully, somewhere close to our new home will have a similar influence and the Don will be out of my system  :z7

Will I miss Aberdeenshire :?

OK, so I'm not travelling quite as far away as Sandy has  :z7 I'm only an hour and a bit away so can always pop back when the opportunity arises. But, thinking about it, I'm only going to miss my chums and family left behind.
I'll not miss the politics (I'm sure you all know what I mean) and I'll certainly not miss the winter weather - honestly, it's milder where I'm going :! I'll have more fishing on my doorstep than you can shake a large collection of fishing rods at :grin So no, not really.

I just hope that some of you will come up for a visit in 2011 - perhaps a re-invention of the 'grand days out' :?
I'll still be active on the forum, no worries on that count, just not so 'local' any more.

So long Aberdeenshire and (with a nod to Douglas Adams) thanks for all the fish  :z18

Hamish  :z3

Jim Eddie

Re: Now I look back...... a trip down sentimental road.
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2010 at 13:24 »
Bring tears to a glass  eye Hamish  :z4

A grand day out in the Heilans sounds like a plan  :z16

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2010 at 15:16 »
Hamish who? :z7

Only joshing big fella. :z18

All the best and looking forward to fishing some high seeing you next year.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2010 at 16:35 »
All the best in your new home and adventures Hamish.

I am sure you will have a great time, its a wonderful part of the country.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2010 at 17:50 »
Orrabest Hamish,

and tight lines in new waters.

cheers
Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 25/08/2010 at 08:56 »
Thanks guys  :z16

I'm already planning a 2011 grand day(s) out adventure based from our new pad :wink
Don't tell Rachel  :shock

:z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2010 at 12:33 »
Hi Hamish :z16

Yes, I remember the day of "ticket #1" very well ....... an awesome day and in excellent company!

Hope you both have a great time up north and that life treats you well, it is not far away and I certainly plan to pay you a visit or two :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 26/08/2010 at 20:25 »
Best of luck Hamish hope ye enjoy it up there. Lochs lochs everywhere ya lucky git.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #8 on: 30/08/2010 at 22:00 »
i am now hooked on dapping because of your stories so i will be up a few times next year to pick your brains

stuart

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com