Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Haddo Trout Fishery ( to August 16th )
« on: 17/08/2010 at 01:21 »
Hi folks :cool:

A good variety of dry flies such as Hoppers, Sedges, Klinks, F-Flies and Hares Ear Emergers have proved productive this week, along with spiders, Crunchers, Damsels, Buzzers, Pearly Pennels, Bibios, Diawl Bachs and Mini Cats.

Yes, an interesting week, the water has been very clear at times and although this can make for exciting fishing as anglers can see so many fish from their boats ...... the fish can also see the anglers and are not easy to catch :wink
Both the top rods this week were stalking their trout with dry flies :z16

Noel Kelly had a great session tempting 16 fish up to 5 lb, Steven Kidd netted 14 up to 10 lb, Darren Crawford 13 up to 6 lb ...... and there ends the catches in to double figures this week :z15

Paul Shearing tempted 8 fish up to 7 lb, Brian Pickles 8 to 6 lb, Neil Garden, James Mackay Jan Bowen and David Leech each had 8 to 4 lb, Steve Faithful 7 to 11 lb, Graeme Ellington 7 to 6 lb and Malcom Mead netted 7 fish up to 5 lb.

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

Re: Haddo Trout Fishery ( to August 16th )
« Reply #1 on: 17/08/2010 at 17:56 »
Steve, Noel,
I hope you were on dries!

Iain

Steven Kidd

« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2010 at 10:04 »
Iain,

Yeah, my best fly for the day was a chernobyl ant.

Cheers,

Skidd

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 18/08/2010 at 18:01 »
Orange blob on a di 7 Iain  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 18/08/2010 at 19:11 »
Orange blob on a di 7 Iain  :z16

wash your mouth out Noel  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 18/08/2010 at 22:38 »
Orange blob on a di 7 Iain

now yer talking  :z16  :wink

Steve,
interesting. Was it your own tying/ variation or the standard one seen in mag's? I remember having this Hawthorn fly in my box for years (only kept it as It was the best fly I tied when on an instruction weekend with Oliver Edwards) and it had a lot of similarities in materials and rough profile of the Chernobyl Aunt, lying flat in the surface on a raft of black foam. One very hot but breezy day years ago at Midmar I took a funny turn and threw it on - well the fish went ape for it.
I tied half a dozen last year when Loch Saugh was a soup with them - Luxemburg nil pwa :z8

Something different though  :z16

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com