Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Sedge
« on: 23/07/2010 at 20:16 »
Hi folks :z16

Awesome, I have never seen so many sedges at Haddo as I have over the last hour .... there are millions of them all along the banks in the sun.

There are often quite good numbers of little red sedge here, but these ones are almost cream, I wonder what species they are :roll

Bet it will be good on the Don tonight :wink

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

Re: Sedge
« Reply #1 on: 23/07/2010 at 20:28 »
Hmmmm, been on the river most of the day trying and failing to catch a salmon. Just home now and completely knackered, looking forward to a nice glass of wine and a chill out evening and then you have to go and post something like that.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 23/07/2010 at 20:31 »
Just been looking them up in John Goddard's Waterside Guide, I think they are Longhorn Sedge ( Oecetis ochracea ) although these were about the size of a little red sedge. Do we get Longhorns up here?

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 23/07/2010 at 21:41 »
The horns are definately twice as long as the body, I think it is just the light cream colour that caught my eye, apart from the numbers of course :wink

Cheers
Mike

Richard Tong

« Reply #4 on: 23/07/2010 at 22:02 »
Hi Mike,

If you catch one you can preserve it in 70/30 Isopropanol/water or failing that gin(not ideal but okay)/water in same ratio and send it to Stuart Crofts giving location (grid reference if you have it) and date caught and he will ID it for you. Send to: Stuart Crofts
4 Stottercliffe Road,Penistone,Sheffield S36 6EB. If you ask Stuart he will send you some sample tubes that you can use in future and he normally asks you to include a stamped self addressed envelope if you wnat the tube returned. His mobile details etc are on his website,

Richard

Richard Tong

« Reply #5 on: 23/07/2010 at 23:10 »
Just found this(knew I had it somewhere) from Stuart. It's a 50/50 mix not 70/30 as I said before...

Adult Caddisfly Collecting Notes 2010
If you get any adult caddisflies (but not the larvae) just put them into a tube. As soon as
possible put this into a domestic deep freeze for about 2 or 3 minutes. This is considered a
humane way to immobilise/kill an adult caddisfly, but please don’t leave them in too long as
they will drop to bits! Next, fill the tube with either neat vodka (or similar clear spirit such as
gin), or a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water, any of these will preserve the caddisflies
until they can be identified. Please do not use neat isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit as this
desiccates the caddisfly making it very difficult to work with while trying to confirm its
identity.
Write on a small slip of paper (see “Helpful Tips” below) in pencil, where (the approximate
location) and when (the time & date) you caught the sample along with your name. Put this in
the tube with the caddisfly samples (alcohol will have no effect on either the paper or writing
in pencil). Please do not stick a label on the tube as these, often, just fall off.
Drop the tube back in the post to me with your name and address along with any other notes
of interest on the capture. I can then post back another empty tube in return. You can put the
tube in any type of envelope, they do not need to be padded, these tubes are very strong and
will not leak. However, you will need to put a “large letter” stamp on the envelope due to its
thickness with a tube enclosed.
I do not get much chance to analyse samples until the long winter evenings, hence the reason
to preserve them in alcohol.
You can expect many different types of adult caddisfly to be on the wing from mid March to
the end of November. They range in size from 3mm to nearly 30mm and we have almost 200
very varied species, most are found near water but they can turn up anywhere, some are very
common and others incredibly rare. So, even if you only think you have one please send it
along for me to check. Plus, don’t worry if you think you have caught the same type twice,
again please send it along as this information is useful for the "flight period data".
At the year-end and after all the samples have been identified I will put together an annual
review. A copy of the review and data will then be sent to you, from this you will be able to
see the species you caught and sent in.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 23/07/2010 at 23:46 »
Thanks Richard ..... sounds interesting :z16

Not likely to have any isopropyl in the house, but I'm sure I'll have some vodka :wink

I'll try to catch one if they appear again.

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 23/07/2010 at 23:51 »
Hmmmm, been on the river most of the day trying and failing to catch a salmon. Just home now and completely knackered, looking forward to a nice glass of wine and a chill out evening and then you have to go and post something like that.

Hi Noel :z16

So, did you have your chill out wine, or did you go for a cast? :z4

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 24/07/2010 at 00:51 »
He probably had a litre of wine as he repaired his broken rod.  :cry

woops! blabbermouth :oops

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 24/07/2010 at 01:10 »
Thanks Iain. Just back from the river :z4 Interesting evening, got on the water about 9 and first place I approached the bank saw 3 decent fish rising. Two looked 1lb+ the other 2+ good start I thought. Of course the bigger fish was in a very difficult spot and the others were in one of those swirly currents at the tail of a pool. Long story short I got only one weighed at 1.25lb. Was sure it was a sea trout the fight it put up, very strong for its size but def a brown.
By the time I had finished fannying  about weighing the fish the other 2 had stopped rising and that was it, rise all over.
I walked a lot of the bank and didn't see another decent rising fish.
I did hear one though...first time hearing a fishes fins whirr as it threw itself bodily out of the water, followed by one almighty splash. Its a pool that holds good browns but was in a back eddy where I have not seen a fish rise before.  
I had to cross the river to have a better chance of covering it and despite waiting an hour and a half it didn't rise again. Beautiful night with the full moon and the air was dead still.
Last night for me for a week, tomorrow night I will be in North Africa sweating and been eaten alive by mozzies :z6
I wanted to go to Orkney but swmbo wouldn't hear of it, wise lady as she wouldn't have seen much of me if we went there  :z4  

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com