Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bronzebommer

Anyone know what these are?
« on: 08/07/2010 at 09:56 »
I’m back down in the Ivory Coast working offshore again. Working on the platform but living on the supply ship. Of course I had to bring a rod. While the ship was alongside the platform today I managed to catch 4 fish in about 10 casts before the ship pulled away, but I have no idea what they are.  :z8 Can anyone help?

Rob Brownfield

Re: Anyone know what these are?
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2010 at 12:45 »
Looks like possibly a Suffolk, or more likely a Norfolk boy to me ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2010 at 12:51 »
Pretty sure the "pointy" one is a Bonito...

The others..would guess..errm...has the shape of the Pompano family...but there are lots of variants.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2010 at 14:49 »
I'd agree the top one looks like a bonito
the others look like a trevally, possibly a Jack trevally
or Jack crevalle

all fun none the less :z18

sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 08/07/2010 at 15:21 »
possibly a Jack trevally
or Jack crevalle

ahhhh..good..same family (Carangidae) as Pompanos..so in the right area..although I always thought Jack Travelly had more of a "sheeps head" shape to the face.

Matt, did they not have a label on them when you bought them from the fishmongers? ;)

Bronzebommer

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2010 at 08:56 »
Thanks for the help guys! Just caught the 2 today. Hope to hook into some of the Tuna soon!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2010 at 09:32 »
Thanks for the help guys! Just caught the 2 today. Hope to hook into some of the Tuna soon!

Watch your hands! :shock

bruce

« Reply #7 on: 13/07/2010 at 00:52 »
I agree with spiderman, we were told that they were yellow tail jacks when in Gabon but they call them something differant in Angola, manage to hook one of them (under the same circumstances) on a piece of bread, we did have steak on but they wernt keen :z6

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com