Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chiz

How To Fish Certain Conditions....
« on: 14/06/2010 at 10:06 »
Hello.

I need some advice on how to fish various weather conditions. I ask this after my outting on Sunday and i wasn't sure of the best approach to things. I know this may be broad, but i'm still getting to grips with things and needing advice. If anyone can fill in the gaps below i'd me more than greatful!

It's just trout i'm fishing at the moment at various fisheries around Aberdeenshire.

Cold
Line:
Fly/Lure:
Retrieve:
Additional info:

Cold/Rain
Line:
Fly/Lure:
Retrieve:
Additional info:

Warmish/Overcast
Line:
Fly/Lure:
Retrieve:
Additional info:

Hot/Sunny
Line:
Fly/Lure:
Retrieve:
Additional info:

Barry Robertson

Re: How To Fish Certain Conditions....
« Reply #1 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:12 »
This question really is impossible to answer  :z4
Every water fishes differant in all the conditions mentioned, some fish sulk in the depths on sunny/bright days others feed happily on the surface ect!
I think gaining your own experience at waters is the only way to make your own rules that you have found to work for you!
How often do you hear people saying fish love lures in the colder months, yet others still continue to hump fish on buzzers/bachs and bloodworm!
The more you fish the more you learn, fish with better anglers than youreself and dont be affraid to ask what you might think is a silly question!
Tightlines
Baz
 :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:26 »
fish with better anglers than youreself and dont be affraid to ask what you might think is a silly question

Baz,
can I come out fishing with you? :z4

He is correct though and although it's important to learn as much different techniques as possible I'm sure you will eventually find a couple that you prefer over the others.

One method I'd have no problem using in all of the above conditions is............
Floating line, leader in the 12' - 18' range, two buzzers (heavier on the point) fish static, varying speed figure of eight or the deadly straight line sink and draw.

It's either that or dries for me I'm afraid.

It's all good whatever you choose.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:29 »
Baz,
can I come out fishing with you? :z4[/glow]
 Was that your silly question Iain  :z4

Iam practically living on the water just now, when you popping down to play??

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:32 »
Baz, my silly question is does your bird carry a picture of you around in her purse so that she remembers what you look like?
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

I'm going to try and get down your way next week.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:40 »
HAHA the poor thing actually does!
Its only going to get worse as the season goes on, i reckon 5 outings a week to menteith & lintrathen will soon start to get on her nerves!
I fished 2 evening sessions at menteith last week and got in at 1am both nights waking the house up  :z4
Dedication or stupidity, Who knows  :z4 :z4

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2010 at 20:05 »
HAHA the poor thing actually does!
Its only going to get worse as the season goes on, i reckon 5 outings a week to menteith & lintrathen will soon start to get on her nerves!
I fished 2 evening sessions at menteith last week and got in at 1am both nights waking the house up  :z4
Dedication or stupidity, Who knows  :z4 :z4

I got in 2 nights last week about midnight thinking I was in stealth ninja mode. More like elephant mode apparently. :z6 

Chiz

« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2010 at 20:43 »
Goolager what's the "deadly straight line sink and draw". And i find the figure of eight really fiddly to do. No doubt i'm probably doing it wrong as i've not actually seen anyone doing it, i'm just doing what i think i should be :)

Anyways i guess i'm just trying to summarise up what is a complex hobbie/sport. I guess this is why there are so many views but not a lot of posts on this topic  :z7

I just find it impossible to see why fish would go for something so small and hardly noticable like buzzers and dial bachs etc, especially when i could be fishing lures which are so bright and colourful lol.

Anyways, thanks for the replies nevertheless. I guess this is just trial and error and more importantly experience :)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2010 at 21:26 »
Goolager what's the "deadly straight line sink and draw". And i find the figure of eight really fiddly to do. No doubt i'm probably doing it wrong as i've not actually seen anyone doing it, i'm just doing what i think i should be :)

Anyways i guess i'm just trying to summarise up what is a complex hobbie/sport. I guess this is why there are so many views but not a lot of posts on this topic  :z7

I just find it impossible to see why fish would go for something so small and hardly noticable like buzzers and dial bachs etc, especially when i could be fishing lures which are so bright and colourful lol.
Anyways, thanks for the replies nevertheless. I guess this is just trial and error and more importantly experience :)

Think like a fish Chiz  :wink

Cats whiskers are not part of a trouts diet, buzzers/pupae are!
I think the cats whisker is a great proven pattern but once fish have been in the water a while you will find they like to eat natural food and not christmas tree decorations!
Next time out if your fishing a lure , just try a buzzer or nymph pattern on th on a dropper, once you see that the they actually catch fish you wont look back and in time you will probably wont ever have them off your cast :z18
Fish small flies confidently,  :wink

Chiz

« Reply #9 on: 14/06/2010 at 22:57 »
Diawl Bach*

Yes, i still need to get my head around it. I just think it would be easier to see something bigger and colourful in the water rather than a little buzzer :-P. I guess this is just because all successful fishing has been with lures.

I have purchased a few new buzzers and natural looking flies and i'm dying to try them out. Should do on Thursday hopefully.

As for Diawl Bachs and Nymphs.. what's the difference between the two? They look very similar to me.

I've said this plenty of times, and it feels like i'm asking very novice questions but i appreciate all the help here :)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 14/06/2010 at 23:26 »
A diawl bach is a pattern to suggest a nymph as is alot of other flies! To me anything buggy can be used to be a suggestive nymph pattern.
Someone clever might be able to help you out in more detail, i am not the best with entemology  :z6

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 15/06/2010 at 08:23 »
I guess this is just trial and error and more importantly experience :)

That's it in a nutshell, experience is gained by trial and error with (as Baz points out) some time spent with other more 'hardened' anglers thrown into the mix for good measure is a big help. Time spent in observation is seldom wasted.

My two cents - for what it's worth - is have a range of density lines (or 'tips') available to you so you can ring the changes depth wise and remember that as long as your flies aren't in the water you wont be catching fish......

Enjoy the journey  :z16

:z3

Stuart Smith

« Reply #12 on: 15/06/2010 at 20:19 »
im not sure that fly choice has that much to do with catching(i know it sound silly)

when you think about it what flies do you allways fish with.myself when i am setting up at my car i normally put on a bibio or deer hair sedge on the top, a kate or pennel in the middle and a silver type thing on the point with a floating line.if im having no luck i will put on a intermediate then a faster one and so on

i should have a box with only half a dozen flies in it

what im trying to say is i think the depth your flies is more important than flie choice and of course the most important thing is having confidence in your flies

that sounded ok in my head but dont know if it makes sence writen
stuart

« Reply #13 on: 16/06/2010 at 12:36 »
Every time you tie on a lure, stop for 1 second to remember - trout are insectivores.
Now either they are eating fry because they are abundant,  or bright stuff for a special occasion, or it's normal nosh on the menu.
Then place your bet and tie it on.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com