Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

macleodsat11

Piperdam
« on: 12/06/2010 at 00:29 »
Hey all, a newbie so please be gentle,

I recently picked up the rod again after more than 20 years "away" fishing basically took a back seat when i discovered women and drink,

I am off to piperdam next week and wondered if anybody has any "tips"
I have fished there once before (midsummer last year)and had nothing after 8 hours in a boat, dont get me wrong, it was a good day but it is always better going home after having a little bit of luck on the day, i was fishing as deep as i could, but dont know the depth i should be going to.  OH and the drifting wouldnt have helped, i had a drogue, but it was a wee tad windy too so for all the time i spent fishing, i was rowing back up the loch for about 3 times longer.........

Anyway enough of my tales, i wait your informed replied with anticipation,

Mac

Jim Eddie

Re: Piperdam
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/2010 at 20:01 »
Never fished it Mac so can't be of much help , Baz might be able to advise if he's online.

:z18

Jim

macleodsat11

« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2010 at 23:17 »
thanks Jedi, ive headr you need to go deep but no idea on how deep, guess i'll just ask the ghillie when im down there.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2010 at 23:24 »
Hi Mac
Welcome to the forum :z16

I've heard that going deep can be a useful tactic there too, especially in calm conditions, but I haven't fished it for many, many years I'm afraid.

Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:26 »
Piper dam  :z6
Not my most favourite water, but never felt the need to go deep there unless it was a scorcher of a day!
Cormorants,diawl bachs and blobs normally serve me well there!
Depending on drift speed i wouldnt be going much further down than a slow glass ( slow intermediate) but a midge tip should do you fine at this time of the year ! Both banks hold fish and a drift down the middle and onto the out of bounds section would be worth a try  :z16
Hope you have a good day  :z18

macleodsat11

« Reply #5 on: 16/06/2010 at 13:31 »
All.
thanks for the info :z16, I hope i have something to post after my visit, and not just tales of the one what got away  :z8

sinks

« Reply #6 on: 08/07/2010 at 17:35 »
hi i used to fish it qite regularly bout 10 years ago.it seemed to go down hill after the lodges and golf club were built.
it was a troutmasters water at one time,fished well with standard lochstyle flies and lures.fished it about 5years ago high summer was full of weed ,even in the deep water wouldnt go back again,should try butterstone boats are good
electric outboards free drogue ask for it,nets supplied in boat ,seats for £3 prebook .check out their website.
good luck

macleodsat11

« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2010 at 08:30 »
Many thanks to all who posted, I had a great day down at "piper" but very tough going, for 22 who were out, there was a return of 13 fish, mixed conditions, but not much in the way of a rise, not knowing the depth and constantly on the drift, slowed to some extent with the drogue, the water was about as clear as tattie soup, I managed to bag 1 of about 3lb on a fast sink and a slow retrieve yellow dancer, the biggest bag was 2 for 5.5lbs. a good day out but tough going, I heard many stories of multiple blanks here, (there were also a couple of young uns out with the sweetcorn and spinning rod, but they returned empty handed).
All said and done I bagged one and had a thoroughly good day,

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com