Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Ythan Tomorrow?
« on: 11/06/2010 at 16:36 »
Was thinking of taking the spinning rod out and heading to the Gicht beat (above Methlick) tomorrow anybody got any advise?

Dave

Iain Goolager

Re: Ythan Tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:40 »
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I can help.  At this time of year tie a swivel onto your line, attach a 3' section of 8lb 'leader' then tie on a black and silver Rapala.
Then snap the rod over your knee, throw it into a bush and set up the fly gear!!!!

Sorry Dave -couldn't resist  :oops

Tight Lines

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 15/06/2010 at 08:12 »
:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 Funny, but probably not far off the truth there Iain :shock
I only ever spun the estuary (when I was a Newburgh AC member) and on occasions when I wasn't fishing the fly I did very well with Tasmanian Devils, not sure about Gicht as never been there.

:z3

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 15/06/2010 at 18:35 »
Usual story missus had made other plans so didn't get out.

The river isn't very wide (maybe 15' or so) up there so not sure if you could work the fly or not.

Dave

nailchapper

« Reply #4 on: 16/06/2010 at 18:54 »
 :z15 :z15 arite dave....had some good sport with brownies up river, using the worm!!..better than putting your
rod over your knee m8 can get a bit costly!! :z15 :z15

cheers scott

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 16/06/2010 at 18:58 »
Worms!!! spinning!!! have I wandered into the wrong forum? I was sure this place was called fishing the fly :z7

nailchapper

« Reply #6 on: 16/06/2010 at 19:50 »
 :z15 :z15 don't get me wrong mate, i live beside the ythan cross over it everyday, walk the dog on its banks, try to cast a fly on it as often as possible...so its nice to see it getting a mention at this time of year, because i don't see alot of fishers/flyfishers on it....tight lines!! :z15 :z15

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 16/06/2010 at 22:24 »
:z15 :z15 arite dave....had some good sport with brownies up river, using the worm!!..better than putting your
rod over your knee m8 can get a bit costly!! :z15 :z15

cheers scott

Hi Scott, worms not allowed till end of August on the Gight beat.

Dave

nailchapper

« Reply #8 on: 17/06/2010 at 09:46 »
 :z15 :z15arite dave....been fishing ardlethan with the fly in the evenings..very small fish!! but good fun...talking to a guy on the ellon beat last nite, getting few sea trout {not on the fly}!!!

tight lines

scott

Dave Mundie

« Reply #9 on: 17/06/2010 at 11:14 »
:z15 :z15arite dave....been fishing ardlethan with the fly in the evenings..very small fish!! but good fun...talking to a guy on the ellon beat last nite, getting few sea trout {not on the fly}!!!

tight lines

scott

I guess that'd be aada water your fishing? I joined the ythanbank club this year in the hopes i might get the chance of a salmon.
Dave

nailchapper

« Reply #10 on: 17/06/2010 at 16:13 »
 :z15...first year with the adaa, got quite alot of the ythan to fish looking forward to the months ahead!!...fished day tickets on the ellon beat last four years at the tale end of the season had some cracking fish, biggest 18lb...£35 a day got quite expensive come november {worth every penny tho!!!},so you should get a few dave!!

scott :z15

Dave Mundie

« Reply #11 on: 17/06/2010 at 18:06 »
I got invited to join the AADA this year but I i couldn't justify the outlay over the few times I would get out :cry thats why i thought the £75 for the YAA wasn't too bad.

I know some will say I should have got a rover ticket for the don but thought I'd build up to that.

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com