Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Mackerel fishing from a boat.
« on: 31/05/2010 at 21:36 »
I have tried in vain for the last few years to get a mackerel from the shore on the fly rod. Not very often tbh and more of  a case of a half hour the odd saturday or sunday while out for a drive with herself.
Idea has been locate with the beach caster then change over to the fly rod but I have never found them close enough.
So I was thinking this year of getting out on the high seas after the buggers. Does anyone here do that or know of a boat that would take fly fishers?
Maybe we could have a day out if a few are interested?

Bronzebommer

Re: Mackerel fishing from a boat.
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2010 at 20:17 »
Don’t know about a boat, but where have you been trying from the rocks? I have caught mackerel off the rocks a few times with a beach caster. I can point out a few marks for you if you like.

Matt

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2010 at 21:36 »
I have had them a few times south of Aberdeen at a busy mark where you go under the rail bridge and also a spot I found myself closer to Nigg bay. This was always with the beach caster at maximum distance.  Any other spots would be appreciated especially anywhere you have found them close to shore.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2010 at 19:17 »
Hi Noel,

I have not really tried for them since living up here but we did get them frequently from the shore on fly near Edinburgh and have done so on the west coast too.  I'd be up for a trip for them if we can find a local spot and would also consider trying to hire a boat for a day if it was possible and before anyone makes a comment, no, I would not attempt to drive  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Alex Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 02/06/2010 at 22:07 »
Hi Noel,

I'd be up for a trip for them if we can find a local spot and would also consider trying to hire a boat for a day if it was possible and before anyone makes a comment, no, I would not attempt to drive  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Hi Guys

I am looking into this at the moment, not planning on putting my boat in this year again :mad due to work commitments but might know a man who owns a boat and is partial to a bit of fly fishing.

Ben-d "Steer" a boat maybe but nae Drive!!! The Driver is the man who looks after the engines etc, the skipper is the man who Steers the boat!!! :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Tam Greenock

« Reply #5 on: 05/06/2010 at 10:26 »
Get along to some of the harbours on the Moray Firth a few of the guys I worked with in Dr Grays used to fly fish from places like Buckie and Findochty

CGFS

« Reply #6 on: 05/06/2010 at 11:07 »
hi  guys nae sure if Macduff is too far away but try this guy www.puffincruises.com/pages/fishing trips never been out myself as i spend all my life on the sea but reports are very good about them hope this helps CGFS... :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com