Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gordy66m

Loch Lee
« on: 13/09/2006 at 12:44 »
Going to fish Loch Lee this weekend and would appreciate any info on flies to use, good fishing spots on the loch or any other info. Thanks.

Peter McCallum

Loch Lee
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2006 at 19:37 »
Is it still open? Thought it shut up shop at end of August.

Peter

Graeme Gauld

loch lee
« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2006 at 23:11 »
far end as you look  is the best area amongest the weed  all the normal wet flies work fish are small 3 to the pound however there are the occasional 2-3 pounder caught each year

Peter McCallum

Loch Lee
« Reply #3 on: 14/09/2006 at 07:35 »
Personally I would give a big zonker or polar fibre a few casts, there are char in loch lee & char= ferox??? :grin:

Rob Brownfield

Loch Lee
« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2006 at 08:54 »
As far as i know, there are no Ferox, which is rather strange. I know two Ferox anglers that have tried, although the fact you cannot use lures or an engine does not help matters.

We used to catch the Char by fishing a Hi-D line with flies like Butchers, Silver and gold Whickems infact anything that was about a sixe 12 and "flashy". Cast a long line over deep water, let the fly line hand straight down then retieve the flies straight up. Once you find the depth the char are at, tailor you cast to suit.

Never ever caught a Brownie there, but then we were fishing for the Char. They are stunning fish by the way.

wildfisher

Loch Lee
« Reply #5 on: 14/09/2006 at 09:50 »
Have fished Loch Lee more times than I care to admit.  You can in fact use an engine on Loch Lee; you must take your own though.  Fish around the edges or at the head of the loch  (the end  where the river comes in). On the opposite bank there is an obvious small bay  with a burn running down the steep hill side. From that bay right along past the crags to the aforementioned head of the loch is good. Stay within 25  yards of the bank. Rob's advice on charr is sound, although at this time of year you often get them on a floating line. 3 to the pound is the order of the day for trout. Usually the estate don't let anglers on after the start of the grouse extermination  season, it is reserved for the "nobs"  in the lodge, but you can sometimes get an odd day if there are any   inter-nob periods when one party leaves and another is yet to arrive.

No Sunday fishing or pishing in the loch – it is Arbroath's water supply and my mother still lives there.  :grin:

Take a drogue!

For more info check

http://www.fish-wild.co.uk/index.php?database=1&getpage=features&pid=15.

Rob Brownfield

Loch Lee
« Reply #6 on: 14/09/2006 at 10:40 »
Ooops..appologies over the engine issue....never had one so never knew that :) Its a big old row in a strong wind  :shock:

I would love to know if that place has Pike in it. Never heard any rumours but being fly only and most folk only fishing small traditional patterns the likelyhood of a Pike being take is slim I guess.

wildfisher

Loch Lee
« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2006 at 11:30 »
Never heard of pike in it. I reckon  someone would have taken  one by now as a lot of anglers use lures in search of the big trout. The odd salmon get taken, but the main North Esk run goes up the water of Mark. Rob, you are braver than I if you go out on that loch with no engine! It is a dangerous place to get caught out as the wind roars down the loch at times. Best day we ever had there was 3 or 4 years ago in September. Warm SW wind, top of the water action with trout and charr. Great fishing. It can be very dour though, especially in an east wind. As far as flies go, they are not fussy unless it's flat calm – then  dries / DHE's work OK. Try a Grouse and Claret size 12 / 14 if fishing wets.

Gordy66m

Loch Lee
« Reply #8 on: 15/09/2006 at 09:10 »
Thanks, to all for the info. Looks like no wind tomorrow so could be in for a difficult time.

Rob Brownfield

Loch Lee
« Reply #9 on: 15/09/2006 at 22:47 »
It must have been some 15 years ago since I last fished the place  :oops:  and believe me, I was not brave, I was down right stupid!! Did not even have a lifejacket between us.

I have grown more wise since then.

wildfisher

Loch Lee
« Reply #10 on: 16/09/2006 at 11:18 »
Rob, I was the same when younger.

Experience is the sum total of our near misses.

The trick is not to let it kill you.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com