Rob Brownfield

Re: Mainly Tarpon
« Reply #15 on: 25/05/2010 at 13:19 »
Look up SEERAD..I really can't be bothered

Paul Rankine

« Reply #16 on: 25/05/2010 at 17:23 »
Hi Rob,

I think it was you who mentioned bluefin tuna to begin with . Then you switch your comments to Albacore.
When I ask you for a reference to back up your statement that
Apparently Tuna are regularly seen feeding off of Orkney and the Shetlands.
  you say look up SEERAD.

Ok, I,ve looked up Seerad and I all I can find are references to the Bay of Biscay and Cornwall , nothing about Orkney and Shetland and the regular sightings of albacore feeding.

I,m genuinely interested in whether albacore have extended their range in the way that you describe.

Do you have a reference or not ?

Paul.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #17 on: 25/05/2010 at 20:54 »
Hi again Rob,
                     Here is a link to some scientific information about Northern Albacore. You should note in particular the distribution map.

http://firms.fao.org/firms/resource/4/en

As I said , you'll have long wait . :wink

Still interested in your reference though .

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 26/05/2010 at 08:39 »
You have answered your own question. Look at the maps in that link you posted, bottom right map clearly shows longline catches in the period 2000-2007 of Albacore off the Northern tip of Scotland, just where Orkney is, and to the East between Scotland and Norway.

Thank you for posting that.

As for your reference to the "distribution" map, I did not realise that there was a straight line that the fish could not cross, perhaps the currents just hit the line and stop?    ..maybe someone should tell them   :z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 26/05/2010 at 09:11 »
Now, now, girls.
 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 26/05/2010 at 10:42 »
Now, now, girls.
 :z4 :z4

Sandy, I have slightly more important things to worry about than a peeing contest  :grin

:z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2

Hows the fishing anyway? Have you been upto Muara for the Barramuni yet?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 26/05/2010 at 10:49 »
Plenty barramundi in the Tutong river :wink
so I don't need to go as far as Maura

hopefully should be out after Spanish mackeral on Tuesday
so well see how that goes :z16

still can't get any with the fly ( well none worth photographing)

sandy

Paul Rankine

« Reply #22 on: 26/05/2010 at 12:20 »
Rob,
        At that level of catch  I for one won't be fishing for Albacore off the coast of Orkney anytime soon and nor should any other sane person.  Your make me laugh though ,thanks. :z4

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 26/05/2010 at 12:47 »
Plenty barramundi in the Tutong river :wink
so I don't need to go as far as Maura

Wow, the only things I caught at Tutong were Cats upto about 6 pounds, some form of Barb (I think it was Swamp Barbs) and  3 spot Gouramis (tiny size 20 hooks, tiny strip of bacon rind to look like a grub).

Have you tried for Sumartran Tiger Fish yet? If you walk South of the Panaga Club, about a mile along the beach you come to a sungi that runs through the golf course. Walk up the south side, under the first bridge, under the second and about 20-30 yards up a smaller sungi enters. The water here is about 8 feet deep and the tigers can be seen smashing into baitfish. Not massive, a 5 pound fish being a good one, but ripe for a polar Hair Minnow or small EP baitfish!! They hit hard and fight hard! Almost like a freshwater Barra.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 26/05/2010 at 13:26 »
Have you tried for Sumartran Tiger Fish yet? If you walk South of the Panaga Club, about a mile along the beach you come to a sungi that runs through the golf course. Walk up the south side, under the first bridge, under the second and about 20-30 yards up a smaller sungi enters. The water here is about 8 feet deep and the tigers can be seen smashing into baitfish. Not massive, a 5 pound fish being a good one, but ripe for a polar Hair Minnow or small EP baitfish!! They hit hard and fight hard! Almost like a freshwater Barra.

This sounds interesting, the Sungi's on the golf course are out of bounds for fishing as are the wee ponds that are heaving with all kinds of fish :cry They are pretty serious when it comes to the golf course, i've already asked :z6
I think i know exactly where you are talking about and there are some cracking fish, but unfortunatley a no go.
We have Crocs on the golf course as well :shock at least Two are regularly spotted on a couple of the holes where there is a lot of water. So a few things may have changed , not much i'll wager :wink but a few.

I keep trying to find spots that are safe and hold fish, but the two things don't really intersect very much :cry
I think i may have caught one of the tiger fish on a small diving plug at Lorong Tujuh but it threw the hook after an acrobatic fight before i got a chance to get a good look at it.

As i say i keep trying, but the heat gets a bit fierce for a scottish loon after a while, so i go and hide and tie flies :wink
Its all good fun though and worth perseveering as one of the locals had a Barra (selunsong) of 12kg's out of the river just the other day :shock and ther have been quite a few a good bit bigger than that too :cool:

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 26/05/2010 at 16:19 »
I would kill to get out there again!!

As for the golf sungi, just do it :) I think I fished it every day through the holiday! :)

The crocs were a wee bit of a hazard back in my days there. If your ball landed near one, you got a free drop ;) There was also a "gang" of monkeys up the far end of the course that would either steal your ball, or worse, wait until your back was turned and leg it with a club or two. There must be thousands of pounds worth of clubs in the Ulu!

Another place I fished frequently was off the bridge over the main Seria river. Mainly strips of fish for the Catfish. Had a few strange fish there that I could not identify. A local Japanese chap used to fly fish the mouth just down stream. Shooting heads and small flies, but never saw him catch.

Lastly, there is a sungi that runs through the back of the houses in Panaga. That was good for Climbing Perch :) Now they were interesting fish!!! The Tigers were there too but it was very overgrown so short "poles" were the order of the day.

Talking of the golf course..is the small hill called "Thompsons Tits" still on it? Under each "hillock" is rumered to be a Japanese tank.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #26 on: 07/06/2010 at 20:51 »
Hi ,

" Mainly Tarpon "  ????  :z4

Paul.  :roll

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com