Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Mainly Tarpon
« on: 17/05/2010 at 21:36 »
Hi All,
         Came across this series of flicks on the Airflo site .

http://www.airfloflyfish.com/indexairflo-design-09.cfm?airflochoosecountry=1

Quite Funny in parts too,  :z4  Check out the guy in the surf.

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Mainly Tarpon
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2010 at 16:40 »
I found the "How to break your fly rod" very interesting. What is the tie up between Airflo and ECHO rods?

Dutchfly

« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2010 at 18:03 »
Here's your answer, Rob: http://www.rajeffsports.com/airflo_about.php

Great rods, by the way :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2010 at 19:10 »
Hi ,
      Gee that Steve has got really big ears !

Paul.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2010 at 18:01 »
Back to the fish.
Becoming something of a tuna addict :cool: if you ever get the chnace to get one
on the fly , take it. Mind you if they look like these you may need to take some spare shorts :shock

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/can-cows-really-fly-10499/

still trying to get my head around just how they might go on any rod
never mind the fly. Awesome photos though :z16

sandy

Paul Rankine

Re: Mainly Tuna
« Reply #5 on: 23/05/2010 at 21:07 »
Hi Sandy,
                 Ok back to the fish . Mainly Tuna now  :wink . Awesome pics . Here's one in the boat from Newport.

What's the biggest anyone has caught on a fly rod ? 

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 23/05/2010 at 21:32 »
That Lemon shark has to be a contender at 4.6"....did you get it Ben?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 23/05/2010 at 23:07 »
That Lemon shark has to be a contender at 4.6"....did you get it Ben?
I did get it Noel, on a 10wt rod.  I've no idea how heavy it was as there are no scales on the boats and I refuse to use one of those bogagrip things but, it was quite big :z4

Intersting fight, it was a powerful fish but not that fast compared to the other things we caught.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

Re: Mainly Tuna
« Reply #8 on: 24/05/2010 at 02:05 »

What's the biggest anyone has caught on a fly rod ?  

Paul

The IGFA Saltwater fly caught record for Blue fin Tuna is 196lb 9oz :shock on a 20lb tippet
Thats the biggest one i can find, mind boggling :shock
Mind you, the all tackle record is 1496lb  :shock Probably literally like being attached to a torpedo

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 24/05/2010 at 15:57 »
"The climax for UK tuna was reached in 1933 with a fish that is still the UK record weighing 851lbs taken off Whitby in Yorkshire, again by Mitchell-Henry."

Who needs tropical climes :)

"Bluefin estimated at 1000lbs were seen feeding and leaping in a shoal just off Stoke Point east of Plymouth several times during the 1970's. This coincided with several tuna between 620lbs and 880lbs being brought in to Cornish ports by boats that had been working the mackerel shoals within 10 miles of shore around the Lizard Peninsula and Dodman Point. "

Apparently Tuna are regularly seen feeding off of Orkney and the Shetlands...might have to break out my 10 weight :)

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 24/05/2010 at 18:16 »
Rob,

Apparently Tuna are regularly seen feeding off of Orkney and the Shetlands.

Really ?  I don't think so . Any Bluefin there are chance encounters mate from the fast dwindling eastern stock's oceanic wanderings. You would have a long time waiting .

These fish are known to be Atlantic ocean wanderers ,migrating from the eastern seaboard of America to the north of Shetland , even over to the Norwegian coast then sometimes down into the North sea ,crossing over to the North East English coast (following the clockwise North sea counter current) .The fish were probably attracted to herring in the drift net fishery there. This was the reason for the Scarborough fishery in 50,s. In some years the herring pair trawlers off our coast right here encounter one odd one or two but it's been a few years now that the last one was landed. I remember seeing one at Peterhead many moons ago that was over 1000 pounds , absolutely massive.

They reckon that the world's Bluefin stocks have been reduced in the past thirty years to around 5% of their former total. Something to think about .

There was a guy set up a tuna business off the West Coast of Ireland ,I don't think he survived though such was the unpredictable  nature  of the tuna shoals.

One  on a fly rod certainly would be quite an experience Sandy !!  Incidentally , do you know if the tuna in the piccies were chummed up or was it just right place right time for a blitz?

By the way ,best of luck with your 10 wt Rob !! Hmmm match wood comes to mind ! :shock. You are talking about fish in the 600 to 1200 pounds weight class here.

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 24/05/2010 at 23:45 »
Who said anything about Bluefin off of Scotland? Although Bft have been seen off of scotland and even Norway, they are rare thanks to over fishing in the bay of Biscay. However, Albacore tuna are seen and caught, all be it on a small scale.

Here are several charter boats still operating out of Ireland but they caught no Bft in 2009, mainly due to the weather shortening the season considerably although they did see fish.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 25/05/2010 at 07:36 »

One  on a fly rod certainly would be quite an experience Sandy !!  Incidentally , do you know if the tuna in the piccies were chummed up or was it just right place right time for a blitz?

Paul

I think from the picture it was just timing, there are a lot of bait fish in the air :shock if you look carefully at some of the shots. Its very similar to what i saw in Oz but it was longtails and frigates and much much smaller :grin.
Its the speed that they swim that blows you away, thats why on the fly i have encountered nothing yet that was more amazing, but i keep trying :z16 They don't need to be big, you just have to hook them :z6

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 25/05/2010 at 08:56 »
Its the speed that they swim that blows you away,

Have you had a Barracuda yet? The initial run is blistering, as Ben found out, reel drag frazzling. I would say that first run from a Cuda is about the fastest thing you will ever hook...but the Tuna are most certainly more powerful over a longer period.

Not had Tuna on a fly rod but had plenty when trolling around the AMPA field using Rebel and Rapala Magnums. 20 lb class stand up sticks and still it was a struggle to land fish upto about 40lb.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #14 on: 25/05/2010 at 12:39 »
Hi Rob,
           Ok.
Albacore tuna are seen and caught, all be it on a small scale.

This is hot news indeed . Perhaps you could furnish some proof ?

Paul.  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com