Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Strange Few Days
« on: 28/04/2010 at 22:54 »
Hi folks :cool:

The last few days have been strange ...... conditions and temperatures have felt good to me, things have felt "fishy" and the trout have been rising well at times. But for some reason the trout don't agree and they've been more than a tad unwilling to get caught :roll

Over the years, it never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is to predict their humour. Quite often, on days that feel ideal conditions for fishing at Haddo to me ....... they sulk :z7 and then on others, I'll turn up and find very bright and still conditions in the morning and I'll think to myself that it is going to be a tough day ...... and customers go out and catch fish with their first cast and continue to enjoy good sport all day! :z4

I guess trout don't read books and articles :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

Re: Strange Few Days
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2010 at 23:18 »
Maybe the fish are just fed up being caught  :z8
Barometric pressure down this way is changing loads from day to day just now and i think this puts fish either off or on!
I was at lintrathen today and the fish were certainly on  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2010 at 23:36 »
Conditions at Lintrathen are obviously going to be different Baz :z4

Most anglers caught about half a dozen fish today, one caught 3 fish over 10 lb, there were some other crackers too and fish taking line to the backing, so it wasn't a bad day ....... they just weren't tempting as many as I expected :wink

Yes, the barometer has much to answer for :z3

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 29/04/2010 at 08:15 »
Barometric pressure down this way is changing loads from day to day just now and i think this puts fish either off or on!

Surely it is Barriometric pressure..ie..pressure from Mikes clients ;)

Anyone heard of "moon Phase" related to fishing...a quick look at the charts show the last few days as being "poor fishing days".

Those of us old enough to remember Abu catalogues may recall seeing the "fishing chart" in the back, showing good and bad days..that was based on the moon phase theory.

Alex Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 29/04/2010 at 19:06 »
Rob

As the Moon is curently 98% Full;

Moon Tips
Please remember that using the moon phases to predict a fishing trip is not an exact science and is only one factor in planning a fishing strategy.

Tip 1:  "Trout and albacore fishing is usually slower around the full moon because the fish feed at night."

Tip 2:  "Migratory fish often come into a river system in greater than average numbers on a higher tide, when  
             weather conditions are favorable."

Tip 3:  "Tides are strongest on the full moon which usually makes for the best sturgeon and striper fishing."

Tip 4:  "Estuary fish will often feed strongest around a full moon as the increased tidal flow brings greater    
            movement of the bait."

Tip 5:  "Saltwater flats will be deeper or shallower during Full Moons and New Moons respectively."

Then Tip 1 above would definately come into play.

For those planning on fishing next month, if you believe in the Moon Phase theory

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 30/04/2010 at 10:33 »
I am glad I am not the only one who believes in Voodoo ;)

Looking back through my catches the two big carp I got the other day fell directly on a "good phase"..infact both fell during the 45 minutes classed as the peak time....that was a 15 and a 20 pound carp :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 02/05/2010 at 22:54 »
Things got much, much better from the 30th ..... So does this tie in with any of the moon theories? :z8

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 02/05/2010 at 23:35 »
Yip, but I don't pretend to understand them.

Several good websites availabe plus the anglers mail prints the good days at the biginning of the month.

Some people think it's a load of rubbish but every British record fish has fallen during the "good phase" which seems far too much of a pattern for there not to be something in it.

http://www.moonstrike.co.uk/home.html

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com