Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Alex Burnett

Well guys I have just had the most fantastic 2 days fishing down here in Cape Town, I got the opportunity to spend some time with Korrie Broos & Andre Blignault while I was down in Cape Town and had an excellent 2 days fishing.

From the minute he picked me up from my hotel until he dropped me off after the second days fishing Korrie not only explained different techniques for fishing the Cape Streams but explained some about the local area on the way to and from the fishing he showed me a new knot for tying on my flies, excellent for us short-sighted fishermen, he then proceeded to tie my flies on for me and continually advise me on potential lies for fish over the 2 days, his sole aim seamed to be to get me onto fish at every opportunity . 
He’s pretty handy with a camera as well by the way!!

One thing that really impressed me was seeing Andre taking time with some junior anglers in the parking area to hold a teach-in, not only showing the lads the correct way to set up leaders, flies etc but explaining why this was the correct way.

Andre with the Juniors in the Parking Area and me about to set off

I must say the way these two gentlemen dispensed their knowledge of the sport to others is a credit to the club they belong to and gives you a good feeling about the future of Fly Fishing in the Cape area.

My advice to anyone thinking of coming to Cape Town to fish the Cape Streams would be these guys need to be your first point of contact; best way is to visit http://www.flytalk.co.za/ a South African Fly Fishing forum, these guys are regular contributors.

Well over the 2 days I caught 11 fish missed quite a few until I got used to the different techniques involved, 15ft tapered leader & about a foot and a half of fly line on a 3wt rod, fish that are lightning fast & don’t hook themselves. 
So with a few dry flies I had taken with me we set off on what at first glance looked like an area that wasn’t worth fishing, very little water, huge boulders & nothing bigger than a couple of feet to cast into, how wrong my first impression was, once Korrie had explained the system we were to use we started & not long in I had a rise, too slow, missed it, however once I got my act together it was a different story, you very quickly become aware of fish lying in extremely small pockets, spotting the shadows is easier than spotting the fish. All in all over the 2 days it was a great experience, fantastic condition fish, beautiful surroundings & excellent company it doesn’t come much better than that. I certainly hope to be back again later in the year, need to source a 3wt rod and get some practice in.

Fish On!!!

A beautiful Rainbow

They don’t come much better than that – Fin perfect & Wild!!!                                                                    

The final shot before leaving to go back to the car – fantastic scenery

Alex

Noel Kelly

Re: Fishing the Smalblaar near Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: 19/04/2010 at 19:51 »
Great stuff Alex glad it all came together for you, its a super river and as you say Korrie is a top bloke. Which beat did you fish? I fished beat 5 and 6 if memory serves. :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2010 at 21:21 »
Hi Alex ..... great report :z16

The photos are great too ..... looks like a lovely little clear water stream with some very pretty trout, thanks for posting! :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2010 at 21:57 »
very, very nice Alex,

doubt fishing gets much better than that! well done

Pity you look like an extra from 'It 'aint half hot mum'  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2010 at 07:22 »

Pity you look like an extra from 'It 'aint half hot mum'  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Iain

Who needs enemy's when I have friends like you who just say it as it is Iain  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

It really was fantastic, bit strange at first with the huge bolders & very little water but once you have had a bit of practice casting a 15-20 foot tapered leader with 12-18 inches of flyline it is great sport. :z16

Yes Iain I did mean to write inches :z4 :z4

Alex

Korrie Broos

« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2010 at 11:36 »
Hi Noel
When we fished, it was beat 1 and 2.
Which is about 6km downstream from where Catman fished.
This section, is directly on the other side of the tunnel, where you come out.

The water was much higher than now.
Just before we fished we had a good rain storm.
The water was probaly 50cm higher than now.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 23/04/2010 at 01:24 »
Looks like my kind of fishing :cool: must add it to the bucket list.

Alex and a 3 wt ! It was only ever a matter of time :wink
as it is for everyone :z3

sandy

Alex Burnett

Re: Fishing the Smalblaar near Cape Town South Africa New
« Reply #7 on: 23/04/2010 at 13:45 »
Looks like my kind of fishing :cool: must add it to the bucket list.

Alex and a 3 wt ! It was only ever a matter of time :wink
as it is for everyone :z3

sandy

Been a big jump though Sandy, not that long ago I would only fish with a 7wt, couldn't believe how nice it was to cast a descent length line & land the fly like a feather every time, the one I borrowed from Korrie was an 8ft 3wt and it was fantastic.

Alex

Korrie Broos

« Reply #8 on: 23/04/2010 at 14:08 »
Alex
you mentioned a "decent lenght of line".
Sometimes there was no line only leader.
And you still managed to cast that.
Next time you will cast the 30" leaders. ;)

kenny

« Reply #9 on: 23/04/2010 at 19:35 »
Hi All

great stuff alex :z16
I agree with goolager ( Pity you look like an extra from 'It 'aint half hot mum' ) :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
Can't beleive you with a 3wt, the way you put all that power into your casting.

cheers kenny

Alex Burnett

« Reply #10 on: 23/04/2010 at 20:12 »
Hi Korrie

Yes what I meant was that I could actually cast a good length of line on a 3wt
without trying to snap the rod in half doing so. :z16

Kenny
What can I say I'm a changed man, it's either the South African air, or all the one on
one coaching that Korrie gave me, I think it was the latter, seamed to get rid of that
more power = more distance idea pretty quickly, definately takes a bit more
concentration, less speed and power, more timing & technique.  
(Oh my God  I sound like Mike B & Ben-D) :z4 :z4 :z4

Just found out I am now off back to Cape Town on the 3rd May for a while, wont be
home until the 18th May now. By that time all the bits I have ordered to build my new
Barrio 3wt will be sitting waiting for me. :wink :wink

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com