Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Line Trays
« on: 14/04/2010 at 12:35 »
Hi guys,

New rod & lines arrived Friday so had a go streamer fishing at Kintore a couple of times this past week, No joy except for a sea trout kelt that liked a black and purple woolly bugger.  Was thinking a line tray might be useful to save the line getting coated in mud and tangling on the bank and also to prevent the running line from sinking when wading.  Liked the look of this one http://flexi-stripper.com Any one tried this or any other ones?

Cheers

Michael

Matt Henderson

Re: Line Trays
« Reply #1 on: 14/04/2010 at 13:04 »
what line did you go for? I use floating running line on my shooting heads for salmon so its easier when wading but I can see a line tray being very useful if stripping lots of line on the bank.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #2 on: 14/04/2010 at 14:02 »
I went for a SA Kelly Galoup Streamer Express 250g for when fishing streamers.  Happy with the line casting wise and it turns over a chunky flie no probs but floating running line would have been eaiser to manage when wading. 

I also got a SA Sharkskin floater thrown in with the rod it casts and floats well but will have to get used to the noise it makes sounds like its sand paper running through the guides.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 14/04/2010 at 14:48 »
I take it that it's integrated head and running line rather than a separate head from the running line? If you were feeling brave you could always get new floating  running line and loop the reel end of the head and join the two together!?!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 15/04/2010 at 10:36 »
Was thinking a line tray might be useful to save the line getting coated in mud and tangling on the bank and also to prevent the running line from sinking when wading.  Liked the look of this one http://flexi-stripper.com Any one tried this or any other ones?

Hi Michael,

I find a use for these when fishing overgrown and/or muddy banks. Possibly the biggest downfall of the SH is running line tangles (or more to the point snags which will completely FU your cast) obviously increased casting distance increases the potential.
It's also worth noting that wading (proper wading not puddling) plays havoc with this line as the head is retrieved prior to casting, something which the line tray doesn't neccessarily deal with very well as the tray will be sitting around knee height (or just aboveish depending on style) so invariably it will or the line will still be IN the water (net or bag type - can't comment on the flexi-stripper). I much prefer to retrieve the line and hold it in big coils when wading. Also I've tried hoisting the tray as far up as is practical when wading so as to keep the coils of line out of the water but I need a good clear unobstructed lower torso/family jewels area when working a double hander
Windy days can be a pig whichever way you lean - leave it to drop at your feet and it's blown onto the nearest snag, hold it in coils and it can still be blown around the reel/ jacket sleeve etc. or you can try to feed it into the line tray - which can be a pest (bag type I'm refering to).

I for one like to carry a tray on the Don (and I hate carrying them) so that tells me they are valuable, as for type??? I'm currently using the William Joseph fold away one which is the best I've used but the flexi-stripper may actually be a FUNCTIONALLY better beast.

Hope this helps

Iain

Michael Buchan

« Reply #5 on: 16/04/2010 at 13:43 »
Cheers Iain,

I have just ordered a FS so will report back on i find it.  Checked out another couple of forums so seemed to get decent reviews.

Thanks

Michael

Andy Wren

« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2010 at 14:41 »
Cheers Iain,

I have just ordered a FS so will report back on i find it.  Checked out another couple of forums so seemed to get decent reviews.

Thanks

Michael

micheal , it is a good bit of kit , I use one from time to time ,mainly in the salt or when rock hopping on resser dams .
Keep on meaning to use it when salmon fishing with heads !

Michael Buchan

« Reply #7 on: 28/04/2010 at 12:27 »
The FS arrived yesterday so had a crack at Kintore last night for a couple hours.  No fish seen or felt but first impressions of the FS were good.  :z16
I managed to borrow a line tray for a couple of weeks but found it to be a pain as had to think about putting line in it and half the time the line spilled over the side etc.  The FS I liked as it never got in the way near as much and it cut down on the running line tangling.  As the bristles are soft you can run you hand through them while stripping and you know the running line will get caught by the spikes.  Was a windy night last night so well impressed with the FS will defiantly be using it whenever im using shooting heads and streamer fishing.   

Roll on Saturday will give it a proper go on the Deveron or Don  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com