Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dutchfly

Buzzers: straight or curved?
« on: 12/04/2010 at 12:45 »
Hi guys,

On The Country Channel Mike Hobbs tells us that curved buzzers tend to swim deeper then straight buzzers. He fishes his flies accordingly.

I've never heard this before. In your opinions and experiences, is this the case? Does it make a difference if you fish your straight buzzers deep and vice versa?

If you've missed it, it's Episode 3 of Born to Fish: Lechlade Fishery. The Country Channel is here: http://www.countrychannel.tv/player.php

CU

Jeroen

Barry Robertson

Re: Buzzers: straight or curved?
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2010 at 17:26 »
I have found over the last few seasons that curved hooks fish better from the bank or an anchored boat and straight hooks work better when drifting.
Also found straight hooks with a hackle to be great for fishing on a drift  :wink

Tightlines
Baz
 :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2010 at 19:43 »
I've had some sucess at Haddo early season with Baz'x staright hook buzzers.

:z18

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2010 at 08:13 »
Also found straight hooks with a hackle to be great for fishing on a drift  :wink

Maybe that's because your flee is in fact a spider  :grin

Irvine

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 13/04/2010 at 11:50 »
Ok it could be perceived as a spider but i know them as pulling buzzers!
In fairness you could class alot of things as a spider such as patterns as crunchers as they also have a hackle on them, to me a spider is very minimalistic and plain :z2
Just opinions at the end of the day  :z18

Irvine Ross

« Reply #5 on: 13/04/2010 at 12:19 »
Baz

As you say, it doesn't matter what we call them. The trout just call them food :z16

cheers   :z18

Irvine

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com