Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

jock

isle of mull
« on: 10/04/2010 at 19:10 »
hiya folks,going to mull in july and just wondering if anybody new anything about the fishing there,just wondering what tactics and bait will work and lochs to try

cheers
jock

Gordy66m

Re: isle of mull
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2010 at 09:31 »
Jock,

I live on Mull and know a wee bit about the fishing. It really depends on where you are on the island North end or south end as driving end to end can take up a fair bit of time.

Regards,

Gordon

jock

« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2010 at 18:44 »
hi mate
were staying at tobermory,preferably bait fishing or spinning any info would be great

cheers
jock

Gordy66m

« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2010 at 11:11 »
Jock,

OK, if you're at the North end then try the following

Mishnish Lochs

Head towards Dervaig from Tob and about 3 miles along the road on the LHS you will find the Mishnish Lochs. 3 Lochs and all three have boats on them. Managed by Tob Angling Association and permits from Brown's Ironmungors. This a fly only water (like most on Mull), lochs are stocked with fingerling trout every 3 years and some grow on to a good size (had a 4lber last year on the middle loch). 

Aros Loch

Rainbow water and bait and spinning allowed. This fish farm on this loch is defunct now and I don't see may fish it anymore. Wouldn't bother.

Loch Frisa

You're best bet (fly, spin, bait). Big water (biggest on Mull) 4 miles long and very deep. Good size brownies, also Ferox and Charr (apparently). Local farmer (John McDowell Lettermore) I know hires his boat on this loch. No other options for a boat but decent bank fishing at the south end. Had a big release of salmon smolts last year so I don't know as yet what that has done to the fishing. Can be unbelievably good.

Loch Torr

Small loch after the Mishnish lochs, great for fly beginners lots of wee free rising trout. My daughter had 10 in an hour
last year.

River Bellart

Can spin and bait fish here but needs rain. If no rain suggest going to the estuary as the salmon and seatrout (not so many now) sit an wait for water from June onwards. No brownies.

River Aros

Same deal as the Bellart but bigger and has a number of named pools. Upper reaches fly only.

Loch and River Ba

Salmon and seatrout loch expensive and again needs loads of rain, river is cheaper but very short

There are a number of lochs in the hills if you fancy a wee hike, if your spin/bait preferred I would stick with Frisa

Gordon

jock

« Reply #4 on: 19/04/2010 at 20:32 »
cheers for the info mate ill definetly be giving it a try

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com