Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Don 2010
« Reply #30 on: 28/04/2010 at 21:29 »
The latter Noel  :cry

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 29/04/2010 at 21:56 »
One of a few nice fish caught on the upper River Don this week ...... Cracking Brownie with stunning colours! :z16

With beautiful fish like this throughout the River Don system, who needs to go to New Zealand! :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 29/04/2010 at 22:48 »

Noel Kelly

« Reply #33 on: 30/04/2010 at 06:34 »
One of a few nice fish caught on the upper River Don this week ...... Cracking Brownie with stunning colours! :z16

With beautiful fish like this throughout the River Don system, who needs to go to New Zealand! :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Very true Mike, any idea of the weight/length?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 30/04/2010 at 08:37 »
Hi Noel

This one was 2 lb 8 oz and there was one at 4 lb 8 oz and one at 4 lb 14 oz! :z12

This is the River Don at her very best, she will match anywhere in the world for her trout fishing, as long as anglers learn to treat the fish with respect and return and handle them carefully! :cool:

Both anglers and beat owners really do need to get a grip of this, the Don is an OK salmon river that will never match some of it's neighbours for salmon fishing ......... But the trout fishing on the Don is simply world class! :wink

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Paul Rankine

« Reply #35 on: 30/04/2010 at 17:17 »
Hi Noel and Chris,
                             Still something I would not do myself . Why not take a picture of your fish in the net if you have to ?  Do you train them to lie still for the photograph ?  :z4

Sorry, not good practice in my book .

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #36 on: 30/04/2010 at 20:36 »
Hi Noel and Chris,
                             Still something I would not do myself . Why not take a picture of your fish in the net if you have to ?  Do you train them to lie still for the photograph ?  :z4

Sorry, not good practice in my book .

Paul.

Hi Paul,
You are fully entitled to read away there from your book but I would prefer to look at my own and it will have fish pics.
A pic in the net just doesn't work for me or my photography skills, I have tried.   

Obviously it would be better for the fish not to remove it from the water,  it would be even better if we didnt catch them at all :z6   

Noel.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 01/05/2010 at 00:38 »
Hi folks :cool:

Paul and Richard have had a good couple of days on the Don this week, here is Paul with a 4 lb 8 oz Brownie :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Korrie Broos

« Reply #38 on: 01/05/2010 at 08:52 »
Thanks for the pics, Gentlemen.

As mentioned, really superb fishing you have there.
I hope to join you guys in the not too distant future.

As someone who lives in the most southwestern corner of Africa (Cape Town, The most beautiful city in the world. ;) )
The only exsposure I have to your fishing, is this forum and the Trout and Salmon, that we get in our bookstores.
These big brownies, are they caught on lures, nymphing or dry fly?

Korrie Broos

« Reply #39 on: 01/05/2010 at 08:58 »
Hi Paul, what would you suggest as a better way of taking a pic? I have tried loads of different ways and cant find a better way than out onto a grassy surface, rod down for scale, quick pic and back in the water.

On one of our local forums, there is also a thread, on how to get good pics, when fishing solo.

On of the replies by dlampert is as follows.

Here are a couple of points after a couple of years of doing this:

1. Learn to operate your camera and all its controls with one hand – with a point and shoot this shouldn’t be a problem
2. Net the fish and keep it in the water (head facing upstream preferably) making sure that you are not impeding water flow through its gills
3. Keep the fly in the fishes mouth
4. Get your camera out, turn it on and make sure all the settings are correct. You can always shoot a test shot and then check that your shutter speed is adequate
5. Shoot a couple of shots of the fish in the net (just in case you lose it)
6. If it’s a large fish then it should preferably not be lifted out of the water with one hand. You can however lift it in the water with one hand so that its eye is out of the water
7. Leaving the fish in the water, tilt the fish away from you and shoot a couple of shots
8. Leaving the fish in the net, take it into shallow water and shoot a couple of shots of it on its side or upright. Make sure that it will not hurt itself if it starts flapping around although if treated gently fish will often relax in the shallows. Place your rod next to it if you want a sense of scale.
9. Under no circumstances should you ever place a fish on a dry bank or rocks as its chances of injuring itself are too great and in order to do this the fish will be out of the water for too long. How long is too long? More than 2 – 3 seconds would be considered too long – the longer the fish is out of water the worse its chance of survival.
10. Never hold a fish out of water above dry land – if you drop it you will injure it and possibly kill it
11. Take the fish out of the net now and shoot a couple of shots in the shallows as per above
12. Remove the fly and make sure you revive the fish properly before releasing it.
13. With a large fish you can hold it by the tail in a gentle current and shoot a couple of shots as you release it
14. Remember that large fish will often require more time to revive them properly
15. At all times consider the wellbeing of the fish first, if you cannot take a shot safely then rather release the fish carefully and cherish the memory snapshot

Very handy tips.
Another good tip, is to put your camera on BURST, you wnd up with a lot of photos, but there are sure to be one or 2 good ones among them, the rest you delete.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #40 on: 01/05/2010 at 09:49 »
Thanks for the pics, Gentlemen.

As mentioned, really superb fishing you have there.
I hope to join you guys in the not too distant future.

As someone who lives in the most southwestern corner of Africa (Cape Town, The most beautiful city in the world. ;) )
The only exsposure I have to your fishing, is this forum and the Trout and Salmon, that we get in our bookstores.
These big brownies, are they caught on lures, nymphing or dry fly?

Hi Korrie
This time of year it would mostly be on dry fly. We get big hatches of March Browns and Large dark olives and the big boys seem to feed quiet freely at the surface in daylight. That doesn't last for long though.

emerger

« Reply #41 on: 02/05/2010 at 17:43 »
I've had some success on the Don of late. This was the biggest from my last couple of outings taken on the Dry and safely returned.

Scott C

Paul Rankine

« Reply #42 on: 02/05/2010 at 18:49 »
HI Noel,
              I guess we will just have to agree to differ eh ? I,m not going to fall out over it  :z4
 Korrie,
             Thanks for the photo advice some great tips there . Now I just have to catch something to photograph  :wink

Paul.

paavo

« Reply #43 on: 02/05/2010 at 18:51 »
Lovely brownies, thanks for the pics.  :z16
Would really like to be on the Don now, but can’t manage it this year.  :cry Hopefully next.
Good advice there Koorie how to handle the fish when taking pics.

//Harri

Noel Kelly

« Reply #44 on: 07/05/2010 at 21:35 »
Nice trout today at last! Only one I connected too, raised a few more but didn't touch any of them.
Poor pic sorry but it should make Paul happy :z4
Weighed 2.35lb taken on a cdc&elk  :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com