Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: World Record Brown Trout
« Reply #15 on: 22/02/2010 at 20:10 »
Quick off the mark there Noel  :z4 :z4 :z4

When I was growing up we fished in the summer and shot in the winter and also set snares anything we shot or caught was eaten nothing was wasted. If we had more than we could eat or use there was always a hungy neighbour.

You would have been though at the very least odd if you caught a fish of takeable size and did not chap it. Money and food was tight in those days for working class people.

I also think that a lot of folk who shoot and fish still have the deep seated hunter gatherer instinct , I also think that is why some fishermen have an unexpalined 6th sense and why good fisherman can often outfish someone with equal technical skills, I think Falkus describes it in one of his books.

That said we have no real need to kill fish or fowl these days, but again the hunting instict is still stronger in some of us.

:z18

Jim 

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #16 on: 22/02/2010 at 20:39 »
Paul any brown trout you caught tomorrow would have to be returned unharmed as quickly and carefully as possible. Then when the season opens you could go back and try and catch it again.
Hope that answers your question :z7

haha school boy error!!  :z6

Ben Dixon

« Reply #17 on: 22/02/2010 at 21:25 »
Incidently, If i was to go out tomorrow and catch a British record brown trout (i would not feel comfortable killing such a fish either) How would i go about claiming the record without killing the fish?
Does a photo, witness, scale sample and measurements qualify or do you require a dead fish?

Just checking cos i have a good feeling about this year!  :z7

Hi Paul,

I have a good feeling about this season too.  Saw the odd trout moving again today about 2pm, few stoneflies about.

As I understand it a fish can be returned but I believe a photo is required against a tape measure, a picture of the fish on scales and it must be witnessed.  Not sure of the finer details but will find out this week.

Cheers

Ben

ryan

« Reply #18 on: 04/03/2010 at 16:59 »
bloody yanks have to make everything bigger

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com