Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

World Record Brown Trout
« on: 18/02/2010 at 12:05 »
See the link for the story 41lb 7 oz, It looks a magnificent fish. although I'm not a C & R Zealot,  I just feel a bit uncomfortable about knocking a fish like that on the head.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/news/index.php?news=5841

:z18

Jim

simonc

Re: World Record Brown Trout
« Reply #1 on: 18/02/2010 at 16:11 »
Wow, what a fish. Not sure your standard priest would work on that monster

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 18/02/2010 at 18:46 »
I'm not actually sure he chapped it.  By the report it says he lifted it in and out of the water for six hours to let people see it.  It looks like a cast in his hand but I could be wrong...

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 18/02/2010 at 19:21 »
Nope it says he was standing on the sidewalk

"Tom recalls standing on the downtown sidewalk, lifting the brown trout up for a period of almost six hours so everyone could pay respects and enjoy the beauty and amazing size of the fish."

I'm not trying to be over critical, I may have been tempted to keep the fish myself , it would have given me a dilema.

Jim 

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2010 at 19:37 »
Nope it says he was standing on the sidewalk

"Tom recalls standing on the downtown sidewalk, lifting the brown trout up for a period of almost six hours so everyone could pay respects and enjoy the beauty and amazing size of the fish."

I'm not trying to be over critical, I may have been tempted to keep the fish myself , it would have given me a dilema.

Jim 

i never was that good at reading.....

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:14 »
My first 2 questions were; Is it a wild trout? What's going on with it's tail?

Also 15 min's to land a 41 lb fish?  ???

As someone who thinks a 5lb trout is a cracker something of this size seems almost freakish. I can't help thinking 41 x 1lb fish is better than 1 x 41 lb fish, can't help it.

Chap the bugger 

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:43 »
Not sure about the tail Iain could be with being out of the water being held up for 6 hours , who knows ?

I think that river flows into Lake Michigan, which has warm water outflows from Power stations so could be the reason for the monster fish ?

Jim 

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:57 »
My first 2 questions were; Is it a wild trout? What's going on with it's tail?
Def a wild fish, tail looks like a healing injury to me.

Also 15 min's to land a 41 lb fish?  ???

We have a term in Ireland that may have applied. "Horse him in" 50lb line :z16

As someone who thinks a 5lb trout is a cracker something of this size seems almost freakish. I can't help thinking 41 x 1lb fish is better than 1 x 41 lb fish, can't help it.

Catching 41 x 1lb fish is nice sure, catching a world record is a major achievement and I can guarantee any of us on here would be proud as and have a memory to last us for life plus endless drams and beers handed to us in every anglers bar and bothy the world over :z18  

Chap the bugger
I would have.

Fek how does one do multi quote  ???

(Hope I modified that right :? :shock - Hamish)

Will Shaw

« Reply #8 on: 18/02/2010 at 21:54 »
Is it a wild trout? What's going on with it's tail?

It's quite common for large wild trout to show tail wear. I remember Goddard and Clarke pointing it out in The Trout and The Fly years ago, and I've seen it numerous times on big wild fish.

Will

bigash

« Reply #9 on: 20/02/2010 at 20:51 »
See the link for the story 41lb 7 oz, It looks a magnificent fish. although I'm not a C & R Zealot,  I just feel a bit uncomfortable about knocking a fish like that on the head.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/news/index.php?news=5841

Jim
Hi i'm also not a c&r zealot,but i have'nt looked at the link for fear of being disgusted,a grand old fish killed to fuel someones ego dont seem right. I got the "returning home triumphant provider"buzz out of my system a long long time ago.

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 20/02/2010 at 23:21 »
Initial reports, awaiting verification, suggest the fish was no more than 7 years old which is a truly astonishing growth rate  :shock In days gone by I would have given blood to have had that fish to breed from, although I'm sure that local conditions had a fair share in explaining the growth it was an exceptional fish.

Would I have knocked it on the head :? Yup, I would. That is a fish of a lifetime and whilst I'm no trophy hunter it would take an exceptional soul to pass that opportunity over.

My two cents.

:z3

Paul Rankine

« Reply #11 on: 22/02/2010 at 12:39 »
Hi All,
          That's one big fish. I wonder if the guy ,being a steelhead fisherman , would have returned it without the intervention of the local guide shop owner. Certainly worth a lot of kudos to him to have the World Record caught on his doorstep. Morever , this fish was probably on a spawning run from Lake Michigan . The average American "sportfisher" would not be bothering too much about that though.

At this time of year there are many very large (20-30lb ) trout caught in the Milwaukee area feeding on shad and other small fish prey attracted by the warm water outfalls in the harbour. I,m pretty sure also that there is a fifty pounder out there too , believe it or not.

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 22/02/2010 at 17:48 »
Would I have knocked it on the head :? Yup, I would. That is a fish of a lifetime and whilst I'm no trophy hunter it would take an exceptional soul to pass that opportunity over.
H,

Don't mean to sound rude mate but hat the hell would you have done with it, 40 odd lb of trout :?  I'd struggle to give that away never mind eat even a quater of it myself, stuffed fish are plain ugly and casts can be done to a very high standard from photographs, check some of Ronnie Glasss' work.  I am struggling to think of any valid reason for killing such a special fish.   

Personally, a few pics and get it back asap, trout like that are too valuble to be caught only once.  The larger the fish, the more chance there is of me putting it back, the odd fish I keep tends to be small.  On a sliding scale, that fish would probably register about the same as a double from the Don, if I ever get one of those there is no doubt that it will go back.

Cheers

Ben

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #13 on: 22/02/2010 at 18:09 »
Incidently, If i was to go out tomorrow and catch a British record brown trout (i would not feel comfortable killing such a fish either) How would i go about claiming the record without killing the fish?
Does a photo, witness, scale sample and measurements qualify or do you require a dead fish?

Just checking cos i have a good feeling about this year!  :z7

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 22/02/2010 at 19:58 »
Paul any brown trout you caught tomorrow would have to be returned unharmed as quickly and carefully as possible. Then when the season opens you could go back and try and catch it again.
Hope that answers your question :z7

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com