Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

New Zealand Photos
« on: 17/02/2010 at 21:31 »

Hi Guys,

Just spent a couple days in the sunny Bay of Islands fishing back in rainy Napier now for 5days before i return home to snowy Scotland. Heres a couple pics of our days, we were staying with a family friend who is caretaker and skipper for Kiri Te Kanawa. We were aboard her smaller boat the Ms Cheif and set out for Bird Rock a short distance from the famous Hole in the wall where many of the tourists flock to see.

The place was Swarming with small Kingfish and Kahawai all on the surface. Would have been amazing on the fly rod but it was too kindy to we threw out soft plastics on light tackle.

I appologise for the cheesy grins  :grin

Earlier in the day we went looking for livebait which took a while meaning we weren't the first boat there but with everyone else speed jigging to no success we threw down some liveys and got a hit every drop. I got a little Kingy, of size but it was returned they put up a good scrap for the size of them. Then i got a big hit on the second drop that really loaded the rod, and i found out what the big ones fight like. There was a pinnacle where the fish were swimming up and taking the bait before goind back down so we had to put the boat in gear and move into deeper water. It didnt help that the gimbel was too big which kept slipping round and i was constantly told to gain more weight but eventually after 15 minutes i managed to get the fish to the boat  :cool:

We then set out trolling for a tuna just to make dinner complete  :z7 got a nice albacore tuna and headed back to dry land. It was all filleted and served sushimi style.

It was a good day  :grin

Jay

Mike Barrio

Re: New Zealand Photos
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2010 at 21:53 »
Hi Jay

Awesome pics and report ....... thanks for posting, even the "cheesy grins" look cool :z16

Kahawai ...... amazing fish, aren't they? I used to fish for them on the tide in local river mouths, fantastic fun on the fly!

I'm not very jealous :oops

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2010 at 22:14 »
Awesome Jay :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 18/02/2010 at 01:11 »
Brilliant stuff Jay :z16

Cheesy grins are a must  :grin when you are having a ball.

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2010 at 06:31 »
Looks like fun Jay  :z16

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:19 »
Great report Jay,

awsome fishing! don't think I need to see your pants though.

Is that the new Brown Trout neck Buff you are wearing?

A ra best

Iain

Jay Scott

« Reply #6 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:39 »

Hi Guys,

Yeah the Kahawai are great Mike, we went back to bird rock after trolling to see if we could get another kingy dropped a livebait down and came up with a 4 kilo Kahawai  :grin they put up good fights.

:z4 Sorry Iain  :z7 yeah its the Brown trout one its the UV protective one.

Jay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:48 »
Forget the fashion, buffs n stuff ...... Have you got more fishing pics? :z4

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 18/02/2010 at 20:58 »
Mike,  if you aint looking good you aint fishing good  :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 18/02/2010 at 21:04 »
Mike,  if you aint looking good you aint fishing good  :z4 :z4

So that's where I've been going wrong all these years!  :z4

Jay Scott

« Reply #10 on: 18/02/2010 at 21:12 »

:z4 Yeah i got a couple, went out on the last morning a couple hours before i caught the flight back. Headed out on the inflatable with the small outboard. Just working soft plastics on light tackle brilliant fun. First one was the first of decent size kept getting little pan snapper but you know when you get a big one  :grin

Jay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 18/02/2010 at 21:15 »
Excelente! ...... Well done Jay Pescador :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com