Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stefan Siikavaara

Lines for the 5wt World Championship
« on: 11/02/2010 at 20:09 »
Hi all!

As you may or may not know the first ever official World Championship in casting with "fishing equipment" will take place in Norway this year 2010!

This is of course fantastic news! There is going to be a World Champion distance event, probably done with 5wt:s!

However, at the present the rules and equipment are being discussed and there are those within the Norwegian Casting Association that would like to limit the weight used for the 5wt to 17 grams.

As some of you allready concluded this would exclude a fair many of the longbelly lines we have used for 5wt distance since years and years back. It would exclude the SA MED 5 wt, the Rio Gold Distance 5wt and the Barrio Outcast 5wt for example.

We need to get the norwegian casting board to understand that limiting the line weight in this manner risks to severly limit the belly length of the line used. We do not want a short shooting head event. A longbelly event is what most of us would want to see as a World Championship event right?

My suggestion is that we tell them what kind of line we would like to have in the competition!

Here is the email:

casting@nif.idrett.no

Here is a suggestion for an email:

Hi!

Congratulations for hosting the World Championship in casting with "fishing equipment" in Norway this year!

Here are my opinions for the line to be used in the 5 wt distance event.

I think the line should be in the spirit of the casting that spawned the interest for 5 wt distance casting all over the world.

That means a floating full line that conforms to the AFFTA-standard up to 30 ft and then tapers on in an "even longbelly fashion" (say 1 gram /meter) up to a total belly weight of say 20 grams.

If you want a perfect example of this kind of taper you can look at the Scientific Anglers Expert Distance 5 wt or the Rio Gold Tournament 5wt. These are the line designs that made 5wt distance casting interesting to me and also that makes it different from other compeditive casting events.

I would very much like a line that demands a long carry to be used in this event becuse that is an important part of what I think 5 wt distance is about.

Best regards
Your name

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

Re: Lines for the 5wt World Championship
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2010 at 11:51 »
Good idea Stefan :z16

I'll send them a note today :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com