Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio LC905 Fly Rod
« Reply #15 on: 24/02/2010 at 17:47 »
Hi Matt :z16

The rods are being built now and depending on David's workload, shouldn't take too long to finish. I'll post photos as soon as possible after I pick them up.

Serial number 002 is also being built at the moment, if anybody would like to reserve it :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio LC905 Fly Rod New
« Reply #16 on: 09/04/2010 at 21:21 »
Hi folks :cool:
We now have a demo Barrio LC905 fly rod that you can try before you buy at the fishery :z16

Serial number 001 is sold to Kenny and I have SN002 in stock and for sale :wink

There is more stock coming soon, rods SN003 and SN004 have been ordered and are for sale and I have two blanks being built as well ( these 2 blanks are sold ) but I can order more blanks if anybody else would like one.

Mike Barrio and David Norwich working on the design of the new Barrio LC905

Best wishes
Mike

kenny

« Reply #17 on: 09/04/2010 at 22:20 »
Hi Mike :z16

The rod looks brill, can't wait to get me hands on 001 the morn. :grin :grin

kenny

« Reply #18 on: 10/04/2010 at 19:04 »
Hi All :z16
Picked up the 001 today and let me tell you all ( wot a rod ) I christened the rod today on a lovely 8lb Haddo Rainbow  :grin.  Used it with Mike's Barrio GT140 fly line and it certainly increased my distance, also tried it with the mallard and also noticed i got more distance with this line.

just to finish off i would like to thank mike and dave for coming up with another great Barrio rod.

cheers kenny. :grin

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 11/04/2010 at 00:35 »
Hi Kenny :cool:

It was great to see you enjoying your new rod today ....... I'm pleased that you like it :z16

Here are a couple of photos from today

Best wishes
Mike

David Norwich

« Reply #20 on: 17/04/2010 at 12:12 »
Hi Mike,

I'm glad the LC905 has been well received and christened so quickly by Kenny!

It was a pleasure to work on the project and with you Mike. I hope our next little rod project is as successful.......

Watch this space.........!

Regards,

David.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 17/04/2010 at 21:38 »
Hi David
Welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Heritage

« Reply #22 on: 03/05/2010 at 22:09 »
Bring one next weekend Mike, I feel a good thrashing coming on.

Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 04/05/2010 at 00:42 »
Bring one next weekend Mike, I feel a good thrashing coming on.

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes, you'll get a play at the weekend :z4

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 11/05/2010 at 08:57 »
Paul Arden trying out the Barrio LC905 fly rod ..... :shock

David Norwich

« Reply #25 on: 11/05/2010 at 11:58 »

I've added a picture to show just how small the diameter is of the mandrels the carbon pattern is wrapped on.

These ones are less than half a milimetre in dameter and are used to make Mike's rod tip sections. The carbon fibre pattern is wrapped round this tiny mandrel to form the tip section.

Even though we do this on a regular basis, I still marvel at just how it can possibly be done, and then be turned into a fly rod section that will withstand the extremes of casting technique as shown in the above picture of Paul Arden casting.

David.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 11/05/2010 at 12:25 »
Ahhhh..but David, there is no pressure on the tip in that shot, it is effectivly straight and not under load. Its the butt thats taking the pressure there....and that truely is amazing when you see how thin that is as well :)

I do marvel at how you can produce such wonderfully light, delicate blanks and still build in the strength and power.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 11/05/2010 at 20:52 »
Ahhhh..but David, there is no pressure on the tip in that shot, it is effectivly straight and not under load. Its the butt thats taking the pressure there....and that truely is amazing when you see how thin that is as well :)

Rob ...... "no pressure on the tip" ..... You should have seen it a split second before that shot!  :z7

Paul is pretty good at pushing a rod to the limit. Some top quality rods would have "exploded" before reaching that point of the cast! :z14 

Cheers
Mike

Mike Heritage

« Reply #28 on: 11/05/2010 at 22:06 »
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for Monday, I had a great time. The fishing you have there is just mind blowing.

Here is Paul, not quite going full tilt with your rod, but giving it a decent workout

Mike  

David Norwich

« Reply #29 on: 11/05/2010 at 22:15 »
Hi Mike,

Looking at the picture of Paul casting again, the load that the Barrio rod is under is similar to the load I put on blanks in a maximum deflection destruction test that I do now and again. A sample of many of the blank models I have made has been  tested to destruction using that test at some point.

The test is made by anchoring the blank by the butt horizontally in a specially made clamp, a weight is added to the tip, which is increased incrementally till the load causes it to break. It takes a surprising amount of weight to break even the lightest light line blanks.

Every blank built also gets what I call the "welly test." where the each section of the blank is bent to an extreme degree that will very rapidly show any anomalies in the blank construction. The blank is then assembled and given the same test.

Having passed that test, the rod blank can then be confidently built into the finished fly rod.

Great videos Mike H!

Regards,

David.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com