Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Bit of a strange one here lads....
Was coming home from work this evening on the A96. Between the Blackburn roundabouts I noticed 2 very bright orange lights moving across the sky.
Keeping one eye on the road and one eye on the lights I quickly decided these were unlike anything I had ever seen before so pulled over at the first safe place.
Got out to have a better look and watched them travel until they started to blink and blur eventually fading from sight.
Strange I thought what the hell were those....
Then more appeared, another two on the same path and seemed to be at the same height. Watched these until they faded away in the same area as the first ones which was high in the sky.
Then more appeared.....this went on for 5 maybe ten minutes all coming from the same direction, sometimes 1, 2 or 3 at a time.
I had got on the phone to friends in Blackburn who went outside, saw them and are as baffled as I am. My better half couldn't see anything from Kintore.   

It was about 6.45 they were coming from the NW, very bright orange lights glowing steadily. Definitely not aeroplanes or helicopters and moving two quickly to be something carried on the wind. I saw about 20 and then headed for home, their was two coming over the tree line as I was leaving so the show could still be going on for all I know  :z8

Anyone else see them or any thoughts?

Jim Eddie

Re: Orange lights in the sky this evening...WTF!!!
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2009 at 21:37 »
Have you been on the pocheen Noel  :z4 :z4 :z4

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2009 at 21:40 »
No!!!!!

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2009 at 21:45 »
Fireworks?....

:z4 Sorry Noel couldn't resist... sounds strange!

Jay

Dave Gordon

« Reply #4 on: 05/11/2009 at 21:57 »
if it is clear and frosty out there it could easily be the northern lights. Normally seen green or red round here and flicker and fade.

Could have been the glow from a large derelect building currently on fire in Howes Drive.

Could have been a parachute flare in the clouds, all the pyromaniacs have gone mental as usual and are using bonfire night as an excuse to set fire to anything not submerged!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 05/11/2009 at 22:06 »
if it is clear and frosty out there it could easily be the northern lights. Normally seen green or red round here and flicker and fade.

Could have been the glow from a large derelect building currently on fire in Howes Drive.

Could have been a parachute flare in the clouds, all the pyromaniacs have gone mental as usual and are using bonfire night as an excuse to set fire to anything not submerged!

Definitely not the northern lights Dave or any of the others either these were distinct orange lights travelling across the sky. Like aircraft except brighter,wrong colour and not blinking. The sky was clear at the time.
One of my friends took a video with his phone, I will post that when I can get it if its any good. Wish I had thought to video it myself.   

This is quiet close but their was more space between them

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2009 at 23:11 »
There has been a lot of RAF movement over me tonight...we have had at least 10 Tornados go over tonight, heading in a southerly direction , passing directly over my house at inchmarlo. These are seen as 2 orange lights moving fast... :z8

Other thing it might have been is paper balloons with candles in. This happened a few weeks ago over Torry when even the Police where reporting very similar things to what you have described. Turned out the Uni boat club was celebrating an anniversary and had released chinese paper balloons  :z8

Or we are being invaded!!! :z18

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 06/11/2009 at 00:04 »
Or was it someone casting an MED 120 under streetlights?  For me that would be the logical conclusion  :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 06/11/2009 at 14:35 »
WTF indeed Noel, never seen anything like that before  :?

:z18

Jim

chrisfisher

« Reply #9 on: 06/11/2009 at 15:09 »
I also saw the orange lights wasn't anything too sinister, someone in Kintore was letting off small lanterns, quite similar to miniature hot air balloons.  The orange was the flames giving them their lift. 

No mind altering substances or otherwise involved.

Cheers

Chris

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 06/11/2009 at 15:46 »
Horaaaahhh...I should be an investigator ;)

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 06/11/2009 at 21:51 »
I also saw the orange lights wasn't anything too sinister, someone in Kintore was letting off small lanterns, quite similar to miniature hot air balloons.  The orange was the flames giving them their lift. 

No mind altering substances or otherwise involved.

Cheers

Chris

Excellent :z16 I had been hoping for a plausible explanation and that's good enough for me. Had been thinking about them today, and the fact they were fading at approx the same place in the sky. Running out of fuel was all that made sense to me.
I am a grade A sceptic and seeing something I couldn't put a name on was slightly doing my head in :z4   
Very impressive sight though.   

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 06/11/2009 at 22:48 »
Nonsense!
They were UFO's. I seen them descend over Clovenstone and one of my neighbours went out last evening and I for one haven't seen him today!

I'm writing this from under my bed :o

Iai...................

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com