Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

flooding
« on: 02/11/2009 at 04:05 »
3.55am   2/11/09 The river Deveron has burst its banks at Huntly an old peoples home and 100 local people had to be evacuated, at least 1 foot of water all over the meadows.

Mike Barrio

Re: flooding
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2009 at 09:14 »
Yes, quite a night for the emergency services by the looks of it :shock

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/134208-hundreds-rescued-from-north-east-flood-waters/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8337149.stm

Grampian Police are advising people not to travel unless absolutely necessary due to heavy rainfall which has resulted in severe flooding on the roads on Sunday 1 November 2009.

Superintendent Innes Walker said: "People should not take journeys unless absolutely necessary and they should listen to the radio for updates on road conditions.

Police can confirm that the following roads have been closed:

A90 - severe flooding north and south of Aberdeen, particularly in the Stonehaven area
A92 from Johnshaven to St Cyrus
A97 at Gartly
A944 at Kingswells
B9170, Inverurie to Oldmeldrum road
B977, Echt to Dunecht road
B9016, Buckie to Keith Road
B979 Netherley Road
B9170, between Darra and Cuminestown, outside of Turriff
Burnside Road, Tarland
North Anderson Drive, Aberdeen, at it's junction with the Lang Stracht
Mugiemoss road, Aberdeen
Craigiebuckler Avenue, Aberdeen, at it's junction with Kildrummy Road
Carron Terrace and Carron Gardens, Stonehaven
Auchenblae to Laurencekirk road, at Mains of Haulkerton
Catto Drive, Peterhead

Police are also advising that the A96 Fochabers to Cooksmill road is passable by 4x4 vehicles only.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2009 at 10:28 »
I have to say I was dreading comming to work this morning, especially since getting rid of my landrover and buying a lowered C30..but I did not have a single problem.

I come in from Banchory to Dyce and cut across country via Torphins, Echt, Dunecht, Kintore and down the dualler. I think I hit one puddle by Raemoir and that was it!

Comming back from town last night about 5pm was a whole different story. There was deep water basically from Cults through to Drumoak! I had to go down the middle in quite a few places as the sides would have killed the car!!

Lots of abandoned cars around the airport though....some folk are soooo damn stupid!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 02/11/2009 at 10:39 »
http://video.stv.tv/bc/news-s2-floodclips-040909/

Video from the last lot of floods...

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 02/11/2009 at 10:48 »
Will go have a look at the Don in a while, Fish Scotland shows more water than a few weeks ago, the Urie peaked at about 9' at Pitcaple and the Don is still coming up.  Not good!!

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 02/11/2009 at 11:24 »
Maybe you need a float tube Ben...just to get round your house!

Went across the Beltie Burn this morning by the house..very impressive if not a litle worrying!

sightbob

Re: flooding New
« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2009 at 12:42 »
think the deveron peaked around 24ft, a few foot more than last time.
here's a before and after shot from the last flood, and some from today
before

after

today

today

today

Noel Kelly

Re: flooding New
« Reply #7 on: 02/11/2009 at 12:52 »
Taken few mins ago at Kintore, view from the bridge.

paavo

« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2009 at 13:30 »
What a bloody disaster. :cry Hope the rain stops.

//Harri

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 02/11/2009 at 14:06 »
Beautiful sunshine here in Dyce..so warm in the sun!

Alex Burnett

« Reply #10 on: 02/11/2009 at 15:00 »
Hi Guys

Just been up to Banff & the Deveron is up as far as the club House, it is just as well the Club House is on a bit of a rise. The Deveron is going through the bridge like rapids, never seen nothing like it before, unfortunately I didn't have the camera.

Alex

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 02/11/2009 at 15:20 »
Hi Noel,

Do you think I will get through it in my truck?  Run out of fags and is a long drive to Inverurie  :grin

Cheers
Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 02/11/2009 at 15:36 »
Ya go for it Ben you will be fine. This is your truck right? 

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 02/11/2009 at 18:15 »
 :z4

Tried & failed!!  Couldn't even get to Inverurie the back way, Urie well over the road, tried to get to Blackburn, also a no go so went up to Oldmeldrum and into Inverurie that way, 2 hours!!

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 02/11/2009 at 18:20 »
Hi folks :cool:

A few photos from the Don bridge at Inverurie at mid morning today ........... Can't help thinking that the life ring stations are not located in an ideal location :wink

Oops, that was a bit close to the hut for comfort! Had a bit of a mess to start to tidy up today ..... but the fish didn't appear to mind :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com