Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fishing on Lough Sheelin
« on: 26/10/2009 at 16:31 »
 Hi Guys, have booked a holiday cottage in Ireland for a week in April and its right on the edge of Lough Sheelin , has anyone fished there before ? if so what tactics and flies to use

Graeme Gauld

Re: Fishing on Lough Sheelin
« Reply #1 on: 26/10/2009 at 16:57 »
Hi yes i have fished sheelin a few times, it is over rated and like so many more lochs lives on its past reputation the water quality is very poor, green just like leven.
we caught 3 fish between six of us 2 years ago for 4 days fishing  all 3 were caught
on hares ears
anyhow i hope you have some success

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 26/10/2009 at 18:36 »
Never fished it myself but like a lot of the big fish loughs you will hear a lot of varying reports. You should go onto http://www.flyforums.co.uk and get in touch with a member there called sweenytodd, this guy fishes the lough everyday it would seem and has had a serious amount of huge trout from it this year.
A few things I have heard is that they have the zebra mussel there now so the water clarity has greatly improved but on the down side the fishery board in their wisdom this year stocked the place with very poor quality brownies ??? :z10
See how you get on with him, failing that I know a few guys who fish it regularly and can put you in touch closer to the time.

stickleback

« Reply #3 on: 26/10/2009 at 19:36 »
If my memory serves me correctly there was a Hooked on Fishing episode on Sheelin with Paul Young being ghillied by a local bloke wearing a knitted jersey that was in tatters.  And yes Mr Young caught a lovely large brownie at dusk.  Unfortunately I can't remember what the tactics / fly were  :oops

If you've got Sky regularly check 240/241/242 for the episode.  They re-run them constantly so if you keep your eye out you should manage to see the one concerned before you go on holiday next year  :z4

« Reply #4 on: 26/10/2009 at 22:38 »
Thanks for the info guys, will try and contact sweeney todd thanks Noel

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com