Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Plans for next season
« on: 20/10/2009 at 20:29 »
  With the season drawing to a close (or already closed for some folks) I thought it might be an interesting idea to start a thread containing everybodies plans for next year!  Following on from a statement I made in jedi's Highland holiday thread, every year I tell myself that I am going to do more fishing next season, or have a bash at new locations etc etc and always seem dissapointed with myself that I dont tend to find the time or get around to doing them, I dont think that I will be alone on this one!  It will be interesting if everybody posts their plans and look back on them at the end of 2010 and see just how many of them were achieved.

So I suppose I will get it started.......

My main plan for next year is to do a lot more river trout fishing, I intend to purchase a roving ticket for the council waters on the don after drooling over Bens pictures in the Don reports :z16, also I plan to take to the hills with my tube and tent in tow, and fish more of the remote waters.  Having just finishing my garage I now have no excuse for improving my fly tying skills during the closed season also!

I dont post too often but I am on the forum a LOT so I now feel its high time I tried to get myself more involved :z3

:z18

Steven

Conehead

Re: Plans for next season
« Reply #1 on: 20/10/2009 at 20:38 »
Already looking forward to my trip to Orkney in june. Going to promise myself to devote more time to the trout next season and not get so side tracked by salmon. Wish I had made more effort to get to the Don, especially after seeing the pictures of the fine trout that Noel enticed.

Next season seems a long  long way off :cry

Geoff

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 20/10/2009 at 20:51 »
  Tell me about it Geoff :cry This was by far my poorest years fishing in terms of time spent on the water (which is what its most about to me!)  HAd some cracking sport on the doorness limestone lochs this year tho and will DEFINATELY be making the trek up there again next year!  I suppose I'll just have to concentrate on my fly tying over the close season and play with the bows!  Thank god for Haddo!  :z16 :z16 :z16

Steven

Conehead

« Reply #3 on: 20/10/2009 at 21:09 »
Not been to Haddo Steve, heard a lot about it though, suppose I had better try and get there as well sometime. Sandy did try and talk me into it, but you know how it is, weekends are just not long enough. Think I should go as it seems to be the spiritual home of the 3weight I have.

Geoff

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 20/10/2009 at 21:21 »
My fishing plans for this year were to try to get to grips with fishing The Don, catch a decent don brownie a seatrout and a salmon.
Well I had caught the decent trout by midday on the first of april :grin Caught a seatrout in may and no one to blame but myself for not getting a salmon last saturday, may still get one yet...
Had also planned to visit Orkney but that didn't happen.
Catch a mackerel or anything on the fly from the sea was also up there but I failed miserably on that one. Didn't even catch a single solitary mackerel with feathers despite trying half a dozen times.

Next year the hope would be to continue my Don education, I had several decent trout in april and may but despite regular efforts my success tailed off after that. Was still catching fish but the bigger ones had got too clever for me.
Orkney is still on the wish-list and no doubt a few flings at the salt.

A real highlight for me this year was on a trip home to Ireland I had 7 trout from a local lough all about the 1lb mark, this was over two evenings. I have fished this lough since I was a teenager and never had anything much over a half lb before. It was the first place I ever attempted to cast a fly so was great to have some success there.     

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 20/10/2009 at 21:27 »
Next season.....

Four things on the list so far

Catch two large trout that have eluded me last season

Catch one more Don Springer than I did this year

Trout fish every beat on the Don above Inverurie that I have not yet fished

Catch a double figure Don brownie  :z4

Should keep me going for 2010.

Cheers

Ben

Jay Scott

« Reply #6 on: 20/10/2009 at 21:32 »
Next season... Well start it off with actually finishing my Haddo Winter League entry for a change  :z4. If all goes according to plan the trip to New Zealand in February should include a couple days fishing... Lake Taupo and a spot of offshore  :cool:.

Going to get a couple more spey casting lessons off Ben before the season starts.. i didnt give him much to work with  :oops but i can feel it coming on a more more :z16. Season ticket for the Inverurie stretch and try get my first salmon on the fly  :grin..... hopefully. That just about sums it up  :z7 considering i have only been fishing about a dozen times this year... which yes i know is shocking  :cry im going to make a great effort next year to get more done and hopefully try a few more different venues  :z18.

Jay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 20/10/2009 at 22:59 »
 :roll
A Pike on the fly.
A Salmon on the single hander.
Improve on last years best Brown from the Don
More time spent on the early season Dries for Browns which hopefull won't conflict with the above.
Improve my fly tying techniques.
Improve my casting, all aspects.
Improve on insect identification & all matters entomologicalistic  :z5
SWFF for anything.
Tube more wild trout lochs

There's much more but I'd like to do but I'm confient that the above is achievable.

Iain

adambrain

« Reply #8 on: 21/10/2009 at 08:35 »
well, I think im going to take my fly rod back home to suffolk and for a week or 2 and see what i can pull out the river stour. Plenty there:

roach + rudd on the dry fly
BIG perch
pike + zander
carp on the dries
and my fav chubb.

also think im off to libya so will see what i can temp over there, should be interesting.

then come back up and give the rivers a bash for once.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 21/10/2009 at 09:23 »
Better casting with all my rods. 
Tie neater flies. 
Catch a salmon and catch more bigger trout.
If I get the chance fish rivers other than the Don.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #10 on: 21/10/2009 at 11:08 »
Next years plans are to hang up the salmon rods and:-

Catch my first brown trout over 5lb from the Don, then its grannie  :z4

Catch my first grayling,

Improve my casting,

And if i am relly lucky or win the lottery do some saltwater flats fishing and catch my dream fish a bonefish.

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #11 on: 21/10/2009 at 15:00 »
My goals for next year are..........

Catch a springer.......I will be booking some early days on the Dee for this.
Get to grips with entomology. (have started my studying already)
Do some czech nymphing on the Don.
Hopefully contact one of the Dons larger trout! :z16
I would like to fish some more lochs too. Will try and organise a trip to Durness, Scourie or maybe Orkney. :z12

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 21/10/2009 at 17:59 »
Get out more :cry :cry

GARYBOY

« Reply #13 on: 21/10/2009 at 18:31 »
My plans for next year :
to catch more than my wife {unlikely}  :z4 :z4
try to get to Haddo
 have more patience when tying flies

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 21/10/2009 at 19:10 »
Not been to Haddo Steve, heard a lot about it though, suppose I had better try and get there as well sometime. Sandy did try and talk me into it, but you know how it is, weekends are just not long enough. Think I should go as it seems to be the spiritual home of the 3weight I have.

Geoff

You definately have to make a trip to Haddo Geoff!  You won't be disapointed!  Your 3 weight will most definately feel at home there!  I'll be up there with mine when I get back from Nigeria, (provided I finish building it)

My goals for next year are..........

Catch a springer.......I will be booking some early days on the Dee for this.
Get to grips with entomology. (have started my studying already)
Do some czech nymphing on the Don.
Hopefully contact one of the Dons larger trout! :z16
I would like to fish some more lochs too. Will try and organise a trip to Durness, Scourie or maybe Orkney. :z12

What beats are you considering on the Dee Paul?  I fish Middle Drum and Inverey in the spring (depending on my work schedule) :z16 also Durness is a magical place!  Was up there with my auld man this year, living out of the back of an old Land Rover, probably the best time Iv ever had on a fishing trip (i preffered it to my trip to Alaska!!!)

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com