Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Highland Holiday
« on: 19/10/2009 at 19:02 »
I was up on holiday in the Highlands last week with the family, I sneak the 7 piece 8ft 4# in the suit case  :wink
The place we stay at is in a wood a couple of miles off the A9 between Alness and Tain 20 log cabins a pub and a Laundry, pony tekking and a bit of a play park. Its the ideal base for a fishing holiday. Its cheap, we had 5 adults , worked out at £10 per person per night for 7 nights, 3 bedrooms 1 double bed and 4 singles so could sleep 6. The log cabins are centrally heated and have all the facilities you need , down side is the furniture and the decor is circa 1980's, if you can live with that its fine.
There is a samll loch about a mile through the woods, it has 2 boats and costs £15 for the week, you also have the Alness river on your door step at £15 per day, its also handy for the Ness, Spey , Brora and also a less well know loch that produces some trophy wild Browns "Loch Eye".http://www.troutquest.com/loch-eye-g.asp

s
This is the lodge overlooking the burn that feeds the loch, you can sit on the balcony of an evening and watch the Trout rise.

Loch Katrina as sunrise, I fish it for an hour at dawn before the family rise from their slumber, then back to the cabin for a full Scottish breakfast :z16

Typical Scottish Brownie , 3 to the pound , biggest I've had out of the loch is 1/2lb , not sure if there any monsters , but who knows

Typical Rainbow from the Loch , they are not huge but are in fine condition.

:z18

Jim        

Noel Kelly

Re: Highland Holiday
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2009 at 20:15 »
That looks just great Jim all of it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2009 at 20:36 »
Looks great Jim .............. :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 19/10/2009 at 21:34 »
Welcom back Jim,  :z16

I can just see it now - you sitting on the balcony sipping an Advocat watching the rise.

Nice location and very nice trout. Is the Brownie slightly out of focus to mask the fact that you caught it on a mini WSW? :z7 :z4

Iain

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2009 at 21:54 »
That looks excellent Jim!  If I could only convince SWMBO that holidays dont have to be spent lying on a hot sunny beach!  :z8

You would happen to have a weblink for the cabins would you??  Just checked out the link to loch Eye and that looks brilliant also!  Hmm I wonder if they would allow tubing?  Anybody know?

Steven

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 20/10/2009 at 06:43 »
Steven

This is the link , http://www.ranchchalet.com/en/park_and_surroundings.php.

Loch Eye seems perfect for tubing , I doubt they would allow it as the rules seem quite restrictive in that they don't even allow electric outboards. Its another one on my to do list though :wink

Iain

WSW, how very dare you  :z7

Jim

Conehead

« Reply #6 on: 20/10/2009 at 19:10 »
Loch Eye fishes very well with a good average size, caught a couple nearing 3lb. Loch has a terrible reputation for weeding up and poor visibilty, espcially after a few days of strong winds. Would recommend it, but like any other loch you take a gamble with conditions. No tubing I'm afraid

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 20/10/2009 at 19:22 »
  Cheers for the info guys!  Im guessing the tubing issue is related to the fact that its an SSI?  Tis a shame because judging by the pics it looks like a great water for it!  I'll have to add Eye to my ''to do'' list, tho its more of a book than a list :z7 I always say it every year ''next season im going to do more fishing'' and every year I end up failing to do so!  Anybody else in the same boat?  I would imagine so!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com