Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Deveron 05/10/09
« on: 05/10/2009 at 18:35 »
Well the double hander was dusted off and the Sunray Shadows and Cascades looked out, I headed off to try for a Silver Tourist on the Deveron.

I would suggest that the Turrif Angling Association is a good bet for a novice or  occasional Salmon angler like myself , some nice easy fly water no need to wade and you can  overhead cast if you ae not to handy at the Spey casting . At £30 you have a reasonable chance of landing a fish, out with the big 5 the Deveron is the most prolific Salmon river in Scotland. 

Well it was Baltic when I arrived , the ice warning light was coming on in the car , couple of hours later I could have been on the  Riviera .The water looked perfect , 18” inches on the gauge running a bit coloured , the water was really busy , I’m not sure  it could have been the Turrif local holiday , lots of guys spinning and even one guy trotting a worm,. There were 2 fish taken by the spinners,  both returned .  I was heading down to fish the “flats” in the afternoon but this guy who had just arrived made it to the pool first , so I waited and fished down behind him , he had a fresh run fish of around 12lb , which fair play to him he returned :z16 , he was fishing a massive orange turbo thing , could luck to him though he was an association member and it was hi first fish o the year,  I never touched a fish all day , enjoyed it all the same  :wink , mind you those Salmon rods are murder on the back, I really need to see Ben for some lessons. 

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

Re: Deveron 05/10/09
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2009 at 18:55 »
A nice read jim, fine to see someone else posting a report!  :z2
Looks like a nice stretch of water and was unfortunate you never managed a fish  :z15
At least you gave it a shot and iam sure you will get one next year  :z18

j.r fartley

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2009 at 18:56 »
looks like a crackin wee river Jim

now get your feet up and rest that bad back  :z4

Kev Danby

« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2009 at 19:40 »
Hey Jim at least you got out on the water I had booked today off. My mum was up for a few days for the littluns 4th birthday but heading back today the cunning plan was to spend all day on the Don but projectile vomit from the littlun last night put paid to that idea.

A great day to be out though

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2009 at 19:55 »
Hey Jim at least you got out on the water I had booked today off. My mum was up for a few days for the littluns 4th birthday but heading back today the cunning plan was to spend all day on the Don but projectile vomit from the littlun last night put paid to that idea.

A great day to be out though

Projectile vomiting , been there , got the T shirt  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2009 at 22:03 »
mind you those Salmon rods are murder on the back

Jim

Nice looking water, not surprising it gets busy.  If your back is hurting Jim, take a look at the position of the top arm and your shoulder when you have made the forward cast, if the top arm is straight and your shoulder is hunched forwards then you are probably trying to muscle it rater than flexing the rod.  try to make sure the top arm is still bent after the delivery, hard to explain on paper.

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 06/10/2009 at 13:22 »
HI Jim,
          Great pics , really nice bit of fly water there. A mate of mine was on the Deveron the week before you and they had yo-yo water to contend with but still managed 8 for their week albeit they were further down than you.  How did you get on at Fyvie ?

By the way I did try to say not to use that 18 foot greenheart - nae wunner you have a sore back !! :z4

try to make sure the top arm is still bent after the delivery
. As Ben says , that way you are not pushing the top hand all the way forward . Some folks aim for a an 80/20 or 70/30 (%) movement between bottom hand and top hand. I try to think of the top hand being more of a fulcrum while the bottom hand is used to move the rod (and cause it to bend). Us mainly trout fishers all suffer cos it's the opposite of what we are used to doing .

Sorry ,did,nt mean to steal your thunder there Ben ,it's just a problem I,m very aware of myself. Why don't you bring your double hander along in November Jim , could do with a few lessons myself !

Cheers , Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2009 at 13:35 »
Have fished there many times in years gone by, before I saw the light and sold my salmon gear ;)

Used a 14 foot Hardy and 9 weight line, borrowed from my wifes Uncle who has been a life long member, or my 13 foot Sharpes cane rod with an 8 weight :)

Only ever had sea trout from there though, probably because I tended to fish the summer evenings there as thats when Jim could get away from work and take me on as his guest.

Really liked the place, would like to try again but alas I would now be restricted to the short day permit section (unless the rules have changed in the last 15 years??

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 06/10/2009 at 18:27 »
Paul

Nothing doing at Fyvie , 2 brownie's  and a Perch now that was a surprise  ???

No sign of any silver tourists.

Rob

As far as I'm aware you can fish the whole of the Angling Association beat, I think its a dawn to dusk permit, best give Frank at Turrif Tackle a bell he lets out most of the beats on the Deveron and is also the chairman of the association.

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 07/10/2009 at 08:42 »
Hi Jim

Thanks for the great report and the cracking photos :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 07/10/2009 at 12:01 »
Hi Jim,
          Pity no salmon .I saw a guy yesterday morning walking over the bridge in Ellon with a fish looked @ 10lb. The Ythan is a nice height just now. I,m off the Fuerteventura on sat. for two weeks ,hope to get in a bit of tuna fishing there but have not got long before the end of the season when I,m back on the 24th .
It's a hard life  :z4
Cheers for the Noo,
Paul.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 07/10/2009 at 20:50 »
Hi Jim,

Nice pictures! I'm sure there's still a few Salmon out there with your name them.

I'm dusting down my 13' of pure joy as I write!

Hope the back is loosening up.

Iain

paavo

« Reply #12 on: 08/10/2009 at 11:28 »
Nice looking river. Thanks for the photos Jim.  :z16
How is the brown trout fishing?

//Harri

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 08/10/2009 at 12:59 »
Harri

The Brown Trout fishing is excellent , however on this river Salmon fishing takes precedence, you can fish for Brown Trout but you have to pay Salmon Prices.

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com